Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Network Adaptor Configuration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Network Adaptor Configuration

    Hi

    We have a new DL380G6 which has 4 network ports - is there any details out there on how we can best make use of these both to connect physically to our network and how within ESXI 4 we can best make use of them with our virtual servers.

    Thanks

  • #2
    Re: Network Adaptor Configuration

    We use Dell M600 and M610 blades which have 4 nics as well. We use two nics for vMotion and Service Console and two for VM traffic. We use FC so no need for additional nics for iSCSI. Within the Switches attached to the two VM traffic Nics we use VLAN's.

    Hope this helps

    Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Network Adaptor Configuration

      Just wanna clairify Michael.. If Tongers use your config, should console and vmotion nic be separate? or should the service console and vmotion share both of the nic?

      Thanks,
      HN

      Originally posted by m80arm View Post
      We use Dell M600 and M610 blades which have 4 nics as well. We use two nics for vMotion and Service Console and two for VM traffic. We use FC so no need for additional nics for iSCSI. Within the Switches attached to the two VM traffic Nics we use VLAN's.

      Hope this helps

      Michael

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Network Adaptor Configuration

        Hi Humannetwork,

        vSphere best practise is to dedicate nics for services where possible i.e.

        2 x nics for vMotion
        2 x nics for iSCSi
        2 x nics for Fault Tolerance
        2 x nics for Service Console / Management
        2 x nics for VM traffic

        Since we have a limited number of nics we etherchannel 2 x 1gb nics together and use them for vMotion and Service Console / Management (On different vLans) and then another 2 x 1gb nics for VM traffic with speperate vlans per network.

        Hope this makes sense.

        Michael
        Michael Armstrong
        www.m80arm.co.uk
        MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

        ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Network Adaptor Configuration

          Good info Michael,
          would you sugguess him to put the vmotion on a separate switch to reduce the nework load when he does the load balancing?
          I remembered in my ESX3 class.. my intructor did mention something about we should separate the physical switch if we can.

          Thanks,
          HN

          Originally posted by m80arm View Post
          Hi Humannetwork,

          vSphere best practise is to dedicate nics for services where possible i.e.

          2 x nics for vMotion
          2 x nics for iSCSi
          2 x nics for Fault Tolerance
          2 x nics for Service Console / Management
          2 x nics for VM traffic

          Since we have a limited number of nics we etherchannel 2 x 1gb nics together and use them for vMotion and Service Console / Management (On different vLans) and then another 2 x 1gb nics for VM traffic with speperate vlans per network.

          Hope this makes sense.

          Michael

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Network Adaptor Configuration

            Depends on the spec of the switch but ideally yes. We terminate out etherchannels into seperate switches for redundancy. If one of the swtiches does go down it means we drop to 1gb for Management and vMotion until we resolve the issues with the switch.

            Michael
            Michael Armstrong
            www.m80arm.co.uk
            MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

            ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Network Adaptor Configuration

              Originally posted by tongers View Post
              Hi

              We have a new DL380G6 which has 4 network ports - is there any details out there on how we can best make use of these both to connect physically to our network and how within ESXI 4 we can best make use of them with our virtual servers.

              Thanks
              What is your infrastructure looking like???

              How do you connect to a SAN?? iSCSI or FC???

              What version of the hypervisor are you using???

              What we currently have in our offices overseas is this

              12 NICS per server setup as follows

              4 - iSCSI
              4 - vMotion
              2 - Production
              2 - Management

              Comment

              Working...
              X