Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vmware esx on SAN- newbie question

Hi everyone,

I wondered if you could advise on a Newbie question.

We are running vmware Esx on a San and I want to access the files that make up the virtual servers we are running.

I have putty and bit is tunnellier - any advise would be great as I'm struggling to work it out
    Benjapos

MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291 ITIL Practitioner, Prince2 Practitioner - working on 70-284

Re: Vmware esx on SAN- newbie question

If you are using a SAN then I gather you mean Fiber Channel / iSCSI
    If that is the case the you will only be able to access the files through your ESX host. The volumes are VMFS and it is not feasible to mount them outside of an ESX Host.

SSH into the ESX and look at /vmfs/volumes/<Datastore_Name>/......

Your files will be there.

What are you trying to achieve with this remote access?
    Maish
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
    VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
    MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
    A proud husband and father of 3 girls
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

Thanks for that- yes it is fibre channel. How do I ssh onto the host I have logged on using bitvise but can't see Anyhigg other than root/. I am trying to familiarise myself With vmware
      More thoroughy.
      Benjapos

MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291 ITIL Practitioner, Prince2 Practitioner - working on 70-284

Comment

the other thing you can do
        is open vsphere client
        select the server then go to the summary tab
        on there, it should have your datastores listesd.

You can click on a datastore and choose "browse datastore"

that will give you a windows like interface (sort of) to browse the datastroes
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thanks tehcamel that's exactly what I'm after but want to do it nt within the vic- how is it done I see
          To think it was done via tunnellier as I recap it being GUI based - any advice how I do that ?
          Benjapos

Comment

You'll need to ensure SSH is enabled on your ESX host. You could also use Veeam FastSCP:

http://www.veeam.com/vmware-esxi-fastscp.html

Michael
            Michael Armstrong
            www.m80arm.co.uk
            MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Thank you, when I login using tunnelier To one of the hosts i can a .vmware folder with nothing apparently in it and in the root a load bash files.... Am I in the wrong place ? What am I doing wrong
              Benjapos

Comment

Hi all I have worked out where I was making the mistake.

When logging onto the host I saw the /root folder. Being windows centric assumed that was the top level. If you removed root and left / you get to the vmware files.

Next question - can I copy those files with the servers on ? Most servers are file and print but there are a database server and exchange.

Any more advice would be great
                Benjapos

Comment

Working...
                X