Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VSphere fresh installation

Hello Team,

I'm getting to ready to install Vsphere on my Dell server, and I just need a quick confirmation regarding the partion size.

Here is my server specs.

Dell PowerEdge R710
    2 Quart Core (2.9)
    64GB RAM
    146GB HDD (Raid 1)

Based the specs above, what should I allocate for each partion? I also planning to install Dell Open Manage. So I need to make sure I have enough space for software installation.

Would this configuration be logical?
    Mount Type Size
    / Ext3 30GB
    Swap 3GB
    /var Ext3 25GB
    /opt Ext3 20GB

In my ESX 3 class the instructor said one of the partition is always double the physical RAM size, But I dont remembered which partition that is.

Thanks,
    HN

Re: VSphere fresh installation

Your instructor would have probably said that the swap partition is normally twice the amount of memory allocated to the Service Console of ESX - that's what I'd tell my students - that would mean a 1600Mb swap partition assuming the Service Console memory is set to the maximum of 800Mb, which would be suggested to accomodate the Open Manage agents.

All of the partitions sizes you give are comfortably larger than they would need to be. All of those partitions for the Service Console will be embedded inside a .vmdk on the local VMFS partition/datastore. Remember to allow space for the /boot and vmkcore partitions too, as well as the local VMFS partition.

Refer to pages 59/60 of the ESX Installation Guide too:
    http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r...tion_guide.pdf

Scott.
    VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP 5 / VCAP-DCA4 / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012

Comment

Re: VSphere fresh installation

Thanks Scott.. I appreciate your guidance.
      HN.

Originally posted by scott28tt View Post
      Your instructor would have probably said that the swap partition is normally twice the amount of memory allocated to the Service Console of ESX - that's what I'd tell my students - that would mean a 1600Mb swap partition assuming the Service Console memory is set to the maximum of 800Mb, which would be suggested to accomodate the Open Manage agents.

All of the partitions sizes you give are comfortably larger than they would need to be. All of those partitions for the Service Console will be embedded inside a .vmdk on the local VMFS partition/datastore. Remember to allow space for the /boot and vmkcore partitions too, as well as the local VMFS partition.

Refer to pages 59/60 of the ESX Installation Guide too:
      http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r...tion_guide.pdf

Scott.

Comment

Working...
      X