• Show
Clear All

• vMotion Network Configuration Problems

Hey all,

Setup is as follows

2 ESX4.1 hosts, Dell R710 with 12 Nics.

2 Dell PowerConnect 6224 switches

1 Dell MD3200i PowerVault

vSwitches are configured on both hosts for vMotion traffic and are called vSwitch2 with 1 VMkernel port called vMotion. Each vSwitch has 4 NICs installed and all are active. Both servers utilise the same vmnic ports as well. Each vSwitch has a unique IP address in the same range as the other vSwitch on the other server.

Both pSwitches are configured with the same VLAN's on the same ports as the other and both work independantly of each other, not stacked. Each switch is connected to the production LAN by means of an uplink port to a separate switch on the production LAN.

The current VLAN's on the server are as follow:

Default: Production

VLAN101: iSCSI

VLAN102: vMotion

Each VLAN utilises the same ports on both switches.

Now the problem is this, if i connect my vMotion pnics to the same switch vMotion works perfectly. Now to get some redundancy i would like to connect 2 pnics to each switch so that if one switch fails vMotion will still work. I have tested the setup using vmkping from each host to the other and if all are connected to the same switch then all works perfectly.

What would you recommend in this scenario???

Thanks for you help and if you need anymore info please ask.

Re: vMotion Network Configuration Problems

Even though the vSwitch has 4 nics, it does mean that you need to assign all of them to each component on the vSwitch.

I gather that all 4 nics are tagged with both VLAN 102 + 101.

Are you managing to use all your nics for iscsi traffic? Does your Storage have more than one iSCSI initiator IP? If not hen you are are most probably not getting more than one path to your storage.

What I would do in the case is the following.

You usually do not really need more than one active nic for vMotion.

So if vSwitch2 has 4 nics (vmnic0,1,2,3)

iscsi vmkernel - vmnic0[active] {physicalSwitch1}, vmnic1[standby] {physicalSwitch0}

vmotion vmkernel - vmnic2[active] {physicalSwitch0}, vmnic3[standby] {physicalSwitch1}

Make sure that the appropriate vlans are trunked to the appropriate ports.

I hope this makes sense, if not let me know.
    Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
    VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
    MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
    A proud husband and father of 3 girls
    If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Re: vMotion Network Configuration Problems

Makes sense yes.

iSCSI traffic is all working perfectly and i can see connections on the SAN from all IP's.

The vMotion network is the one causing me trouble.

No VLAN tagging is being used as the iSCSI network and the vMotion netork do not touch the production lan. Maybe i should use it though and i can change it.

Basically the vMotion LAN on each server utilises 4 pNIC's for vMotion and i want to split that across 2 switches to provide some redundancy. For the traffic would i be better making all the vmnics that are connected to the 2nd switch as standy??? Would vMotion not utilise all 4 pNIC's if they were active???

I'll add the VLAN tagging to the vMotion LAN when i get into the office on Monday.

BTW i have the same setup in one of our other offices and it works perfectly. All 4 vMotion NIC's on each server are split across 2 switches and all are active in the vSwitch.

Maybe i should get some pics and diagrams to help explain it a bit better.