No announcement yet.

Vmware licensing

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vmware licensing

Can someone please explain the vmware licensing?

is there any restriction on number of vm hosts I can host on either vmware essentials or essentials plus? do i have to buy extra licensing for extra host if this is the case? what is the difference betwwen esx and esxi? what is the difference betwwen esxi and esxi free? how to i buy esxi paid?

anybody has any paper explaining all the above?

Re: Vmware licensing

As I'm still not allowed to post links due to being a newbie:

Do a google search for vsphere editions small business and click on the second result "Compare VMware vSphere Kits....."

VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP 5 / VCAP-DCA4 / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012

You will be able to now -- you've reached the magic 5 posts
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

All your licencing queries are best served here

ESX vs ESXi from our very own David Davis

ESX and ESXi (at least in version 3.5) are licenced based on CPU count in the HOST

so you could have a host, running one physical CPU (and it's cPUs, not cores) with 40,000 guests, and you'd pay a single licence fee for a single cpu

if you then decided performance was bad, and added another cpu to the physical host, you'd have to buy a licence for the second CPU

Does this help?
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

Remember if running Windows VM's you also need to license the windows server. If you buy datacenter licenses per proc you can run as many windows VM's on that host.
            Michael Armstrong
            MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **