Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMWare cpu info pass thru ?

Hi everyone,

I am feeling quite frustrated right now as I bought a new system with the hopes of running KVM on top of vmware workstation. However, vmware workstation is not passing thru hardware virtualization flags to the fedora vm that's running on top of it and hence I would not be able to run KVM on this fedora VM.

If someone can help me, I would really owe you one.

I tried going into CPU Preferred options, and I am wondering if I change these around, would it help?

I just need vmware workstation to pass the hardware virt flags/extentions to the fedora vm running on top of it.

I would really appreciate some help.

Thanks,
    Zack

Re: VMWare cpu info pass thru ?

Not sure what you mean and what your issue is, but has you enabled virtualization technology in the BIOS (from the physical system)?
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Yes I have. The issue is that I am running Fedora on top of VMWare Workstation, and I need to run KVM on that Fedora VM. Now KVM does not run if it doesn't detect hardware virtualization, and since Fedora is a VM on top of VMWare Workstation, it only detects VMWare virtual devices etc., and does not detect hardware level virtualization extensions. So I have been trying to find a way for these extensions to show up in this fedora vm that is running on top of vmware workstation so I can install kvm on it.

Comment

You know, mentioning that KVM stands for (Linux) Kernel-based Virtual Machine, would be helpful in problem like this.

Anyway, usually virtual-on-virtual doesn't quite work. That is because the first virtualization product monopolizes the AMD-V / VT-X features in order to provide virtual environment to its guests. In your setup, VMWare does this.

If you really need to pile virtualization platforms, I guess your only solution is to use emulation like QEMU, in which the whole hardware is emulated. This tends to be dog slow.

-vP

Comment

Working...
        X