Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hot P2V migration from off-site location.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot P2V migration from off-site location.

I need to move a dedicated web server from my current hosting provider to an in house box.

I plan on purchasing a small server running VMWare ESX. I have downloaded the VMWare VCenter converter tool it is very impressive and worked great in testing between local machines.

I read this article but at the end of the article it says the final part of the series will talk about post-conversion proceedures. There is no link to the next article???

http://searchvmware.techtarget.com/t...4_mem1,00.html

Is it possible to go back and do an "incremental" migration or some sort of incremental backup/restore if too much time passes before I am ready to flip the switch? I want to get in to a situation where I have a hot standby so that the transition is as seemless as possible, just an update of DNS records.

My primary internet connection will be 12x12 so I think keeping them in sync won't be a problem.

Thanks

Re: Hot P2V migration from off-site location.

Originally posted by stylus277 View Post
    Is it possible to go back and do an "incremental" migration or some sort of incremental backup/restore if too much time passes before I am ready to flip the switch? I want to get in to a situation where I have a hot standby so that the transition is as seemless as possible, just an update of DNS records.
    Not that i'm aware of.

The migration process you are talking about is a full migration of a system into a virtual environment.

To keep both servers up to date would require software like Double Take to keep them up to date and synced

http://www.doubletake.com/english/Pages/default.aspx

Please note that i am in no way affiliated with double take its just the first piece of software that popped into my head.

Also the transitioin won't really be seemless if you are having to update DNS records. These can take up to 36 hours to propogate throughout the internet.

Comment

how far away (physically) is the current host?

A P2V over a network (even a 12M/sec network) is going to be SSLLOOWW.
      even a cold P2V would be massively slow.

without knowing more about the server, it's a bit hard

but is there any reason you couldn't build up the new server to have all the basic elements (os, iis, sql, apache, whatever it is) then setup some sort of passive replication

then once all the data is replicated
      flick it over to active/active
      then finally switch off te hosted server once dns is sorted?

it's a bit of a longer path, but may have a better final solution, especially if you can go onsite, dump your entire database, take it back to your other location, import it, then just do a really quick up2date
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

My download speed will be the bottle neck in this operation. I also have a cable modem that runs around 20MB down.

The server is located far enough away that I won't be able to make an onsite visit but I am going to try to work with the host to get a backup that could be overnighted through UPS/Fedex.

Comment

I logged in to the server and installed Symantec backup exec system recovery 2010. Using system recovery I took an image of C:\ D:\ E:\ F:\ and used the G:\ drive as storage. The image totals to 29.4GB divided in to 4GB maximum chunks. I am using FTP to transfer the files back to my network. I have peaked out at over 8.5Mb on the download. I expect the whole process to take less then 24hrs to image, transfer, and restore. Once I get the image restored to a virtual server I will start digging in and making any adjustments necessary to get it going again.

The additional data that is on G:\drive totals 20GB, we have all that data on our local drives so most likely I will re-create that rather than downloading all the data. The VMware P2V converter tool will do a do a direct conversion from the Symantec image to a virtual host, I have already tested this with one of our local servers and it works very well. I have a VMware server on the network right now that I will use for testing until the new one arrives from Dell.

My go live goal is Jan 1, so I may still attempt a true "hot" P2V migration.

Comment

Working...
          X