Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ESXi4: Linux Guest Without X (CLI), Do We Really Need to Install VMwareTools?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESXi4: Linux Guest Without X (CLI), Do We Really Need to Install VMwareTools?

Hi,

I'm new to ESXi4. This is my 5 days of using ESXi4.

I created a linux guest "Ubuntu Server 10.04.1 32-bit" to works as my email server platform.

For a start, everything is working smooth and sound and the email server is working rock!

Yesterday, I installed the "VMwareTools for Linux".

Today, almost everyone inthe office complaining about the frequent disconnection to the email server and yet I could not trace any error / warning issues on my email server logs as well as the system logs from ESXi4.

However, I noticed that after the installation of the tools, Warning message do occurred whenever the Ubuntu boot-up (pls see attached). But, after that, the boot is normal and everything running as usual and I guest the error is not serious, so I don't really bother.

But with today experience, I wish to uninstall the "VMwareTools" now.

So, wouldl ike to seek some advise from forumer is the "VMwareTools" really necessary in this environment - Without X, the GUI!

Thanks.
    Attached Files

Re: ESXi4: Linux Guest Without X (CLI), Do We Really Need to Install VMwareTools?

I don't have VM tools installed on any of or linux guests.

Not sure how oyu installed it but have you seen this article from VMware???

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/mic...rnalId=1018414

Comment

Re: ESXi4: Linux Guest Without X (CLI), Do We Really Need to Install VMwareTools?

Hi wullieb1,

Thanks for the KB and yes, the KB described is exactly what I had gone through.

BTW, since you do not install the tools into any Linux guest, what about those benefits like vNIC driver to run at 1Gbps, Paravirtual SCSI module, memory manager guest shutdown etc?

Doesn't it really help?

Comment

Originally posted by jslh View Post
        Hi wullieb1,

Thanks for the KB and yes, the KB described is exactly what I had gone through.

BTW, since you do not install the tools into any Linux guest, what about those benefits like vNIC driver to run at 1Gbps, Paravirtual SCSI module, memory manager guest shutdown etc?

Doesn't it really help?
        Yes it does help but the server is used only for archival purposes and it not tilised or access very often.

Comment

I have personally run into issue of ESX hosts behaving strangely becuase not all the VM's had up to date tools installed - why would you not want to install the tools?

I am not sure that your networking issues are conneted to the installation of VMware tools
          Maish
          ----------------------------------------------------------
          Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
          VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
          MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
          A proud husband and father of 3 girls
          ----------------------------------------------------------
          If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

Hi all,

This is my final report and the topic will be closed.

Yes, indeed! After the removal of VMware Tools, users have no more complaint about the sluggishness response of the virtual server.

Until now, everything is working fine!

Well, Linux Guest which do not have x-windows environment really do not

required the VMware Tools at all! J

I would sincerely thanks that have help up on my issue.

Really appreciate!

Comment

Well yes it does for, for example memory management.
              Marcel
              Technical Consultant
              Netherlands
              http://www.phetios.com
              http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
              "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
              "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
              X