• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The caveats in using VMFS3 extents

Hi All,

I've got Dell Server with 6x SATA 450 GB HDD configured with RAID-5
    so approximately the total capacity is (6x450)-450 = 2.25 TB

for the above datastore I want to use as one single datastore by using multiple extends, can anyone suggest me is there any caveats or performance penalty in using one large datastore on top of RAID-5 disks ?

Thanks,

AWT

Re: The caveats in using VMFS3 extents

the purpose of this datastore is to server as the backup repository of all the SAN VMs image so i wonder what would happens if one of the disk got failed, would I lose the whole datastore ?

Comment

Originally posted by Albertwt View Post
      the purpose of this datastore is to server as the backup repository of all the SAN VMs image so i wonder what would happens if one of the disk got failed, would I lose the whole datastore ?
      Providing the LUN is presented as one logical unit number and not multiple LUN's spanning other physical discs or arrays you should have redundancy within the VMFS as you are using a RAID5. That said its probably best to post this on VMware's forum or consult their documentation
      Additionally why would you want to waste a datastore for VM images? If your going to be backing up VM's then the backup destination should be outside of your ESX environment. As of course if you loose an ESX server you loose your backup.
      What type of backup software are you using for the VM's?

Comment

Originally posted by scurlaruntings View Post
        Providing the LUN is presented as one logical unit number and not multiple LUN's spanning other physical discs or arrays you should have redundancy within the VMFS as you are using a RAID5. That said its probably best to post this on VMware's forum or consult their documentation
        Additionally why would you want to waste a datastore for VM images? If your going to be backing up VM's then the backup destination should be outside of your ESX environment. As of course if you loose an ESX server you loose your backup.
        What type of backup software are you using for the VM's?
        I'm using B2D at the moment with Veeam 5, but my backup server hard drive is already run out, so i can't do it anymore in there, therefore i must look for free space to do this.

Now I'm trying to install Openfiler hopefully i can make it as network share for my backup server.

Comment

Working...
        X