Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating VM in local ESXi datastore for backing up VM from SAN datastore

Hi All,

I'd like to know how did you configure your backup server as a VM ?

my idea is to utilize the local VMFS3 datastore on my 3x ESXi servers,
    by installing the 3rd party application (like Veeam Backup 5 or Backup Exec 2010) into Windows Server 2008 R2 VM
    equipped with very big hard drive size (8 GB OS + 1 TB data partition VMDK) on each of the local datastore to backup the VM inside the SAN.

What I've got:
    VMware vSphere 4 Essential - ESXi 4.0 (no hot add)

Dell Power Edge 2950 with 2.5 TB multiple VMFS3 extent on top of - RAID 5 (6x 500GB SATAII 7200rpm)
    Dell MD3000i iSCSI SAN over Gigabit Ethernet

The Windows Server 2008 R2 VM configuration:
    2x CPU @ 2.33 GHz
    4 GB RAM
    VMXNet3 NIC --> for better connectivity of the backup between the local ESXi datastore and the iSCSI-SAN datastore.

Here is the reason I'm doing this is that:
    1. I don't have the extra NIC to connect my physical server into the iSCSI SAN switch, therefore i can't use -SAN backup mode.
    2. I only use the lowest VMware license available which doesn't support hardware Hot-add feature.

Would this be optimal configuration ?

Any kind of help and suggestion to implement VM backup as VM would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: Creating VM in local ESXi datastore for backing up VM from SAN datastore

You want to perform disk-to-disk backups? Does your software allow this in your current license? Many times a separate license is required for D2D backup.
    Do you intend to install backup agents in the VMs?
    If you can afford vSphere Essentials Plus, you'll get VDR; or you can indeed buy Veeam Backup.

I used VDR in the past, a little bit different scenario, but we had a VDR machine with a big disk (physical RDM, not VMDK) and it used to backup our VMs. Had a few bugs, nothing terrible, probably worked them out by now. Config was very simple and efficient. VDR has dedup and incremental backups; I'm not familiar with Veeam Backup's features

Good luck!
    Regards,
    Leonid

MCSE 2003, MCITP EA, VCP4.

Comment

thanks for the reply Venom, I'm interested in the Veeam solution now

Comment

Originally posted by venom83 View Post
        You want to perform disk-to-disk backups? Does your software allow this in your current license? Many times a separate license is required for D2D backup.
        Do you intend to install backup agents in the VMs?
        If you can afford vSphere Essentials Plus, you'll get VDR; or you can indeed buy Veeam Backup.

I used VDR in the past, a little bit different scenario, but we had a VDR machine with a big disk (physical RDM, not VMDK) and it used to backup our VMs. Had a few bugs, nothing terrible, probably worked them out by now. Config was very simple and efficient. VDR has dedup and incremental backups; I'm not familiar with Veeam Backup's features

Good luck!
        VDR is horrendous. If you've ever used the product you wouldnt waste your time with it. Its very new and VMware have a long way to go with it before it can be become a robust and stable enough solution for backups.
        Depending on the size of your enviroment Veeam do a free backup solution that includes FastSCP. Also VM Explorer by Trilead is also a very good backup program with a free and also paid for version.

Comment

We used it to backup a couple dozens of VMs without special configurations (not SQL or Exchange). As I said, there were a few bugs, mostly nothing that a VDR restart didn't fix. Had to recreate the backup job from scratch once

I can tell you this: the team that makes VDR is very committed and whenever I had a problem and opened a case, they were very eager to help.

I guess that in the end I agree - wouldn't recommend this a primary backup solution, too many glitches and no support for transactional DBs.
          Regards,
          Leonid

MCSE 2003, MCITP EA, VCP4.

Comment

exactly yes, i had enough on using VDR, that's why i use Veeam.

Comment

Working...
            X