Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Configuring vmWare for use in DR

Good morning all,

I am completely new to virtualisation and vmWare, and am looking at using vmWare Server 2 for use on a DR backup server.

I wanted to check with people who know, that my plan looks sensible and achievable, and also to ask a couple of direct questions relating to the configuration.

I have a new HP Proliant server, plenty of RAM, Processor and disk space, which we plan to have offsite. It won't be connected physically to our network in any way.

We have 3 physical servers, one of which has iSCSI connections to a SAN for SQL. I am not including the Domain Controller - I'd create a new virtual DC from scratch, as we are single domain with only around 30 users.

I am looking to use the vmWare P2V utility to create disk images of these 3 servers, and load them onto the DR server (via USB HD) as virtual machines.

I then have to setup a virtual network to allow the 4 virtual machines to operate together.

Can you advise if the above makes sense? We'd run the P2V backups on a regular basis at the home site, and these would be shipped to the DR site if required and the virtual servers restored and configured at that time.

My questions are :

1. The iSCSI drives are too large to include in the initial P2V backup, but could be copied subsequently using USB HD. How to I add these to the virtual server?

2. Where can I find documentation on setting up the virtual network?

Thank you for reading and any advice is very much appreciated.

Regards,

Graham

Re: Configuring vmWare for use in DR

Hey there,

> 1. The iSCSI drives are too large to include in the initial P2V backup, but could be copied subsequently using USB HD. How to I add these to the virtual server?

I've used iSCSI targets with Windows guest OSes before. You should treat the virtual machine as you would a physical server (e.g. install the Windows iSCSI Initiator or some other software initiator in the VM and use it to connect to the target).

> 2. Where can I find documentation on setting up the virtual network?

The "VMware Virtual Networking Concepts" document I think might be a good start.

Comment

Working...
    X