Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amount of CPU's, Cores and RAM for Network in VMWARE

Hello Folks

I'm creating a network of two Servers 2012 R1 and one Windows 10 Pro.

The Laptop that I have is an ASUS GL702V with 16 GB RAM and a i7-7700 HQ CPU on board(Also a GTX1060 6GB, but this is not importent I think)

What are the best settings in VMWare foor this Network, I meean numbers of CPU's and Core's and how many Ram should I give them

Thanks in advance

Stylus3530

It really depends on what you need to use them for, and the performance you expect, but since it is on a laptop, I presume your main aim is training and evaluation, so you can get away with 2Gb / 1 core each. 4gb each would show a good performance gain and if you can run them off an SSD, you will see even more (this is based on HyperV but AAUI VMWare is similar)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      It really depends on what you need to use them for, and the performance you expect, but since it is on a laptop, I presume your main aim is training and evaluation, so you can get away with 2Gb / 1 core each. 4gb each would show a good performance gain and if you can run them off an SSD, you will see even more (this is based on HyperV but AAUI VMWare is similar)
      Yes that is correct, it's for training

I want to set up two servers 2012, one als domain controller the other one as Additional controller that takes over when the first one is off

I can run it on my SSD

At the moment the VMs are on my HD, but when I copy them to my SSD, which option can I use best 'I copy them' or 'I move them'?
      Last edited by STYLUS3530; 12th March 2018, 09:06.

Comment

I'll pass on that as it is VMWare, which I am not really au fait with. For 3 VMs, consider destroying them, moving the virtual drive files to the SSD and creating new ones pointing to the existing VHDs.
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I always create any lab that i build with the bare minimum, its a lab.

1CPU and 4GB RAM for each machine. Remember that although you allocate 4GB RAM to the machines it won't actually use the full 4GB. It will only use what it needs to use.

I always click on "I moved them". It will then reset the VMX file with the correct location.

This is for Workstation 9 but the same applies to them all https://pubs.vmware.com/workstation-...53BF728FF.html

Comment

Working...
          X