Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Configure Mulit-Homed Server for Muliple Physcial Network

Hello,

I have one virtual machine running Windows 2003 server with mulitple physical network adapters. After virtualized it on ESXi 4 host, I added two virtual network adapters to this vm. I need to configure this vm to access two different physical network, not sure how I can do it with vSphere client 4. Please help.

VM: NIC1 (virtual): 172.100.100.1/24
    NIC2 (virtual): 192.168.1.1/24
    NIC3 (virtual): 10.1.0.1/16
    ESXi Host: NC1 (physical): 172.100.100.2/24
    NC2 (physical): 192.168.1.2/24
    NC3 (physical):10.1.0.2/16 (this is the NIC that ESXi host has)

There is one default vSwitch created during the virtualization,with one physical NIC attached as the uplink: 10.1.0.2

I do not what to do next to get the server to access another two physical networks. It seems that I need configure more physical NIC with IP addresses, but how?

Thanks.

Bob

Re: Configure Mulit-Homed Server for Muliple Physcial Network

you would need a new vswitch in each approriate vlan.
    yo would then configure the nic on each guest to sit on the appropriate vswitch.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thanks for that.

Does that mean there must be physical VLANs already configured, and then map the virtual vlan to that?

Do you know any documents showing step by step procedure?

Comment

Originally posted by byuan View Post
        Thanks for that.

Does that mean there must be physical VLANs already configured, and then map the virtual vlan to that?

Do you know any documents showing step by step procedure?
        You will need VLAN info if you already have them. If not don't need VLAN's. if you have documented how you assigned IP Address to Phyiscal NIC's, you can configure your virutal switch uplinks based on it. Basically, you will have three virtual switches connected to three physical switches.
        Remember in Virtual Environment, Physical NIC's act as an uplink port to virtual environment.

Comment

Ok, I made some progress.

I created two new vSwitch and attached the other two physical network adapters to each of them. I then on the VM settings connect the the virtual network adapters to these two different networks (vSwitches).

My question is how to configure IP addresses on these two physical network adapters on ESXi host, or where I can do that?

Thanks.

Comment

you don't need to configure IP addresses on the vSwitches.
            You only need an IP address on a console port (normally vwsif0)

If it's tagged in the right vlan, and your vlans are setup, it should be ok
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

The physcial adapters on the ESXi host will observe networks and IP changes to which it is connected to. You can see this by going to the Configuration > Network Adapters section in the VI client. Therefore you'll need to physcially plug these physcial network adapters into a physical switch (each).

e.g.

Comment

Thanks so much. I understand that now. Actually I do not need to configure any IP addresses on the physical NICs, just as you have said, the IP addresses configured on the virtual NICs will be observed. Thanks again. This is the answer I need.

Comment

good luck with it mate

Comment

Excellent....good luck!

Comment

Working...
                    X