X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A VMware infrastructure project

Hello,

I have the following project :

Host 2 VM : a DC server and a RDS server running both runnning Windows Server 2012 R2
    Be able to backup the 2 VM and restore it quickly.
    - No shared storage - (too expensive)

What do you advice me ?

Thank you very much for your replies.

Cheers,

/Ruby

Is this something in the real world - if so, some specs on the host and other information about the infrastructure (such as the ESXi version) would be useful, or is this a piece of college coursework?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

It is for real production.

I have 2 server : HP Proliant ML350 Gen9 (2x E5-2650v4 / 32GB / RAID5 3x300GB)
      I suppose i need to purchase Vsphere essentials kit ?? good option ?

Any advices ?

/Ruby

Comment

I'm not really a VMware person, but someone who is will be along at some point
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Why do you need VMware?? If you only have 2 servers to build then use a bare metal windows installation and configure that way.

IMO without shared storage then the VMware side of things is pointeless.

Comment

You could do Hyper-V and replicate the VMs to each other server.

1. All the functionality comes with the Windows license and you can run up to two VMs on a single box with a single license.
            2. Gives you the redundancy via replication. Doesn't protect against data corruption, deletion. But it does protect against hardware failure. Backups are still a must.
            3. Gives you the flexibility that comes with VMs. You can live migrate the VMs to any new server that you might get down the road (depending on some settings) and you have lots of backup and restore options.
            Regards,
            Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
            Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
            www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
            X