Multi Nic iSCSI setup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multi Nic iSCSI setup

I have just acquired a system that is kinda already set up (every thinks seems to work). The system has 3 hosts with 8 nics available for use. I am currently trying to get each host to utilize all the available nics. Currently, there is 1 nic setup for Management, 1 nic setup for vMotion, and one host has 4 nics set up for iSCSI while the others only have 1 with no port binding. On the host that is configured with 4 nics for iSCSI there are 4 vmkernels all connected to 1 vswitch (see image below). Each vmkernels has been put into the port binding setting on that host for the iSCSI software adapter. Each vmkernel only has 1 on the nics set as active. There is no setting selected for load balancing. In the iSCSI software on the SAN, I am only showing traffic from one of the nics. I am thinking that the current setup is only using the other nics for failover and not multipathing. Would I need to setup nic teaming on only one vmkernel to have exsi use all the nics for iSCSI? Please let me know if there is any other info that could help with this.

I'm pretty limited with VMWare but the proper setup for iSCSI will depend on the best practices for the storage you're using. What system is providing the iSCSI targets?
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

It is an HP san with KernSafe running the iSCSI targeting.

Comment

Never dealt with them before. Here's a guide from KernSafe: http://www.kernsafe.com/tech/iStorag...e-ESX-ESXi.pdf

Are you able to contact support to have them check your setup?
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

In our iSCSI environment we used to assign a dedicated NIC for each VMkernel port and the others set as a standby. The way you have things at the moment will mean no redundancy, going by the configuration on the last image anyway.

Have you configure jumbo frames on the VMkernel port and the switch ports that your system is plugged into??

As Jeremy says though the best way is to follow best practices from the Storage vendor.

Comment

Working...
          X