No announcement yet.

backup strategy

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• backup strategy

I need advise regarding providing backup solution for my company,

We are planning to go Virtual with VMware 4.1, and ultimately when the things are done on the setup side of the virtual infrastructure we will be needing a backup strategy to backup my virtual infrastructure, with the file level restore capability, and also the need for twice weekly off-site, we are talking about at least 3TB of data to began with and then it may increase to more data close to 4 to 4.5TB in 2 years time,

Currently I am using tape drive to backup daily full with off-site tapes, but found that tape backup is not that reliable, with more hardware related errors, I am OK with using tapes for off-site needs if there are no other alternatives, we currently have backup exec 12.0.

I heard that newer backup exec has capability to backup VMfiles from SAN itself but right now we don't have budget to buy newer version.

Basically if you all expert can share your knowledge about what should be a good strategy for mid-sized company like us,

How you people are combining your backups specially with the Virtual environment and snapshot? how many % of space is taken for Snapshot if I do one snapshot at night for 2 month overwrite roughly?(Dell Equollogic PS4000),