MIgrating VM between hosts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIgrating VM between hosts

I have a bit of a problem, I'm migrating a mailbox server between hosts because one of my hosts has problems.

I started the migration last night around 6:13pm and it quickly reached 65%. It's been stuck at 65% since around 6:30pm or 6:45pm.

Yes, I did a live migration while the server was still on. The server has 3TB of actual used space it's moving so I can't rule out that it's just moving that massive load and it's taking time.

Yes, I know I should have shut the server down and then restarted it and placed it on one of my other hosts.

My question is this; right now, can I power that server down without fear of breaking anything?

If I can power it down, I can start it on another host and then continue my work in getting the problematic host restarted.

I f**ked up, I know it, but I need to figure out what to do at this point.

Also, this is in VMWare ESXi 5.1. It's not supported these days so we're far behind. I am getting quotes for re-upping our license and getting with Support on this but that could take until Monday and I need my mailbox server that is migrating back up relativley quick. We're going on 24 + hours it's been down.
    I'd rather check my Facebook than face my checkbook...

Thanks,
    Todd

So basically what we ended up doing was shutting down the other mailbox server on that host (there were two, the one that was stuck migrating and one that failed Wednesday night that caused my need to reboot the host).

I logged into the migrating mailbox server via RDP and shut it down. Well, that pissed off VMWare big time and it still showed "on". Essentially I had two VM's that were technically off but VMWare saw them as "on".

We ended up forcing the host to reboot and had to consolidate one of the vm's. Once the host was back up, I started the mailbox server that had been stuck migrating. it came up fine. Once the other vm was consolidated, we powered it on.

Once both machines were on, I realized that I had to go in and repair the databases, which I'm doing now... That's gonna take a minute or two...

Anyway, bleh. I'm exhausted.
    I'd rather check my Facebook than face my checkbook...

Thanks,
    Todd

Comment

Working...
    X