Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migrate vms from vss to vds

Hi dear,
    I have two questions, can you help me, please?
    1. when vm's migrate from vss to vds switch, really what changes happen in host and vCenter?
    2. Do exist way that when a VM migrate from vss to vds, don't happen loss network ?
    Very thanks from your helps,

This article explains: http://rickardnobel.se/vswitch-notify-switches-setting/

He doesn't specifically call out a vSwitch migration, but I believe the behaviour is the same.

Simply put, any packet loss is kept to a minimum - the quicker the new physical switch port learns the MAC address of the migrated VMs virtual NIC, the better.
    VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP 5 / VCAP-DCA4 / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012

Comment

Hi dear,
      Thanks for your helps,
      Final question :
      1. if vm port in virtual switch changed,even if uplink not change, it send rarp again?

thanks,

Comment

Like if you move the VM to another port group in the same vSwitch? I don't think so.

Comment

Thanks , let I explain more:
          My problem is solved if I understand that what things send to physical switch for when :

I have a port group with a uplink that have a pNIC ,so

why when vm off and on , and while it still use same pNIC , after off and on vm what things notify to physical switch?

Means, what info it send to physical switch for that notify it?

While pNIC not changed and from before switch know that a VM with given mac address is connected with same pnic,

Now what info it send to physical switch for that notify it?

Comment

I think you'd either need to ask an engineer, or packet trace to get to the extreme level of detail you seek. I don't know why you need to know, nor enough to be confident in my responses any further than I already have.

Comment

Thanks dear,

Comment

Working...
              X