Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How it Works Virtual Networking?

Hello Guys

I'm trying to undestand how Virtual networking works because every time i think to have undestood new questions comes in my mind. I've understand the "big picture" but if I had to explain how works in detail I realize that I would not be able,,,

The first Question is when i install Esxi i configure one IP Address for the management console that is associated with vmnic0. This ip not associated with the phisical nic but to the virtual port of the default virtual Switch0 created during the installation

As i have understand every uplink (physical nic) has no IP associated and they works as port of a switch. So also the Ip I assign for each Vmkernel Port(VMotion - Storage) are assigned to the virtual port associated to the switch . So basically i had only hypothetically one nic, so one uplink (i know is not a best practice ) i could still create three VMkernel port because i assign the three IP Address to the Virtual Port of the Switch and not to the only physical nic. The three ip Address could be even part of different VLAN if i configure the uplink in trunk....

What i wrote is correct..in part correct..or i'm far from the logic of virtual Networking?

Tanks Giovanni

Sounds partly correct to me.

Each physical NIC port (vmnic0, vmnic1, and so on) in your host is simply an uplink port to the virtual switch it is associated with - it's the physical part of the virtual switch, and just like an uplink port on a physical switch it can run in a trunk mode to carry multiple VLANs.

But the VMkernel IPs you talk about don't belong to the virtual ports on the switch - they belong to virtual NICs in the VMkernel (vmk0, vmk1, and so on) that are connected to virtual ports on the virtual switch - the same networking idea as is done for a VM. Think of the VMkernel as the equivalent of a guest OS running inside a VM, as far as networking goes.

Have a read of this: https://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-60/t...king-guide.pdf
    Last edited by scott28tt; 12th March 2017, 21:42.
    VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP 5 / VCAP-DCA4 / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012

Comment

Tanks a lot.......now all is much more clair!!!

Comment

Working...
      X