Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot Connect to Host from Vsphere Client

Hi guys,

I've decided to reach out for help here as I've literally googled everything and still cannot fix my problem or even begin to understand.

I am not familiar with vmware at all. This is my first project. I'm having to set up our internal system onto virtual servers. (exchange, ACS, website, etc.). We are trying to downsize. Anyways, I have installed ESXi 5.5 update 2 on my machine. Installation went correctly as far as I could tell. It is pingable and can ping out into the world. Also enabled SSH (but I cannot SSH into it :/). This is an HP Proliant dl380 Gen 8.

For my test machine, I have an old clunker I found in the office, 32-bit running windows 7 and vsphere client 5.5. It can ping the host. When trying to connect to the root through Vsphere, it times out. This computer is directly connected to a switch with no firewall blocking any connection between computer and host server. I feel like I'm missing a step to make these two connect. There isn't any "How to set this up for dummies" articles out there.

Also, from my understanding, you have to run a virtual machine on the host to install vcenter?
    Sorry if any of that is confusing or my terminology is off......newbie.

Can you browse to the ESXi host using a web browser?

Comment

I'm having the same issue. vSphere worked yesterday. This morning I got in and fired up my host and I get this error: "vSphere Client could not connect to "myserver". An unknown connection error occurred. (Teh request failed because of a connection failure. (Unable to connect to the remote server))

I've looked everything up, DNS is golden, ODBC is correct (From what I can tell), I've rebooted, restarted services, etc... The only thing wonky is my VMware VirtualCenter Server service (which is set to automatic (delayed start), never starts. It gets halfway and kills. In troubleshooting this, it pointed me to ODBC, which as stated above, appears normal.

I don't want to have to uninstall and reinstall vSphere.

I don't know what else to do at this point. Call Support? Can't do that... My company refused to pay the $17,000 support contract in August so we're up a creek...
      I'd rather check my Facebook than face my checkbook...

Thanks,
      Todd

Comment

If vCenter Server service won't start then you won't get connected to it.

What errors are you seeing in the event logs??

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
          If vCenter Server service won't start then you won't get connected to it.

What errors are you seeing in the event logs??
          For me, the problem (According to VMware) is that ESXi 5.1 is at EOL and the SSO credentials are expired, which is causing me to not be able to get into vCenter. I can get into my hosts (I have three of them) with vSphere and manage my servers, but I can't get into the full bore vCenter.

The bigger problem now is that Veeam, my backup solution, is tied to VMware so I'm adjusting my backup sets to pull from the hosts instead of through vCenter, they're still failing because I think I have something wonky in my iSCSI swtiches or my VLAN, I don't know yet.

So, since I don't have good backups, I can't do anything to upgrade VMware to 5.5.

I still don't understand how the [email protected] credentials can expire and there's no backdoor in. Currently, I'm looking for that back door.

Thanks,
          Todd

Comment

Okay, so I was able to reset [email protected] credentials and get in through the web client. I'll update how I did that once I'm not remote and back in my office.

Thanks,
            Todd

Comment

So, this is how you reset your [email protected]system-domain password for ESXi 5.1

On the Windows host running vCenter Single Sign-On:
              1. Open an elevated command prompt and run the command:

SET JAVA_HOME=C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\jre

Note: This is the default path of the JRE folder for vCenter Server 5.1. If vCenter Server has been installed in a custom location, change command accordingly.
              2. Navigate to the ssolscli directory

c:\>cd C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\SSOServer\ssolscli
              3. Run the following command:

ssopass -d https://FQDN_of_SSO_server:7444/lookupservice/sdk username
              4. Type your current password, even if it is expired.
              5. Type the new password, and then type it again to confirm.

Worked like a charm for me, except I can't get in to vCenter through vSphere. I can get into vCenter through the web client but it shows that I have nothing there. Expecting a call from VMware engineers shortly.

Thanks,
              Todd

Comment

Thanks for posting back.

Comment

Working...
                X