Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMware Lab Setup

Hello,

This is a bit premature and early in my learning stages but I would like to plan ahead. I will be looking to setup a small, low power lab. I have done a bunch of reading and found that the Intel NUC's and the Shuttle DS81's fall within my range. I would probably start with 1 and then add a second server.
    Are there any other recommendations?
    Do you think it would be a good idea to take a old Desktop and turn it into a temporary server until I'm ready to purchase a better one?

Thank you,

Why not - the great thing about VMs is mobility
    Also look at auction sites for old servers - say 2 generations old - which can be very cheap indeed (although will normally need drives in addition)
    For example: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_od...erver&_sacat=0
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      Why not - the great thing about VMs is mobility
      Also look at auction sites for old servers - say 2 generations old - which can be very cheap indeed (although will normally need drives in addition)
      For example: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_od...erver&_sacat=0
      Wouldn't these older and larger servers be very power hungry and loud?

Comment

Wouldn't these older and larger servers be very power hungry and loud
        For quiet servers. Power hungry, depends on what you get. Stay away from ones that have 1" fans. They sound like aircraft turbine engines hence my link.

I was running an Acer Altos G540 Mk2 and it had a 600W PSU. The smaller Altos G330 had a miserable 350W PSU. My desktop machine had a 900W PSU. If you run a 500W machine at full blast 24/7, it may cost you $1 per day. Admittedly that is based on 10 year old costs when I last worked it out. Maybe if you only have your training machine only running when you need it you can reduce the cost. Alternatively, go to the back of your yard and pluck a few greenbacks from the money tree and purchase a brand new wiz band power sipping Server. Good luck finding one.
        Departed: 23rd December 2015

Comment

Working...
        X