Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adding external hard drive as storage drive.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding external hard drive as storage drive.

Greetings,

I am new to all the VMware products so please be patient with me. I started reading and could not clarify a few things. What im trying to do is add a external hard drive as the Virtual Machines storage drive.

What i did was create a ESXI using VMware Workstation, initially it only allowed a maximum size of 40GB HD storage. I then went to add my external drive as a hardware device ( I selected Use Physical Disc) i selected Physical Disc 1 which is my external drive. I had no issues adding this drive. However when i go to vSphear Client to create a new VM machine, and im selecting a Storage location my datastore1 only has a capacity of 32.5GB.

A few questions i have:

1) When i initially created the ESXI using VMware Workstation why was i only allowed to allocate 40GB and not more?

2) How do I connect my external drive to the Virtual Machine?

Another issue I had run into when playing with this is the following; I had installed ESXI on my external HD ( I wanted to try and keep everything stored on the external HD). The install went pretty smooth however once again i was only allowed a maximum of 40GB despite my external drive being 1TB.

3) Is it possible for me to create two partitions on my external HD (Partition 1 (40GB) Partition 2 (960GB)). Install the ESXI on Partition 1 and keep all my VM wares storage on Partition 2.

3.b) Is it possible to not partition the external HD (1TB) and install the ESXI on that HD and use the remaining free space for storage 900+ GB?

It seems like whatever I try im restricted to each VM being a maximum of 40GB.

Thank you in advance, once again im very sorry for the rookie questions.

As you are using VMware Workstation you can have as many disks as you like on the external storage as each "disk" you create is actually only a file.

On your External disk create some partitions and you can then show these partitions to your ESXi host inside Workstation. To answer your questions:

1) That is just the default size that VMware thinks you might need. You can change this if required.

2) Using USB passthrough. However i doubt ESXi will see it, i've never been able to get it to work. As i mentioned above create your VM in Workstation then add disks to it and locate these on your external drives.

3) I don't think that will work using ESXi and installing on bare metal, but using Workstation you can locate your VM on the external disk and add disks to the 2nd partition.

4) I've outlined what to do in previous questions.

Your VM is restricted as you will be doing a standard install. Do a custom one.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
      As you are using VMware Workstation you can have as many disks as you like on the external storage as each "disk" you create is actually only a file.

On your External disk create some partitions and you can then show these partitions to your ESXi host inside Workstation. To answer your questions:

1) That is just the default size that VMware thinks you might need. You can change this if required.

2) Using USB passthrough. However i doubt ESXi will see it, i've never been able to get it to work. As i mentioned above create your VM in Workstation then add disks to it and locate these on your external drives.

3) I don't think that will work using ESXi and installing on bare metal, but using Workstation you can locate your VM on the external disk and add disks to the 2nd partition.

4) I've outlined what to do in previous questions.

Your VM is restricted as you will be doing a standard install. Do a custom one.

Thank you so much for answering my questions. I will play with it a bit more when i get a chance. Would you have any good reading material for standard vs custom install ISO?

Thank you.

Comment

Working...
      X