Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMWare Datastores

Hi,

So I've built my ESXi server on a 16GB USB which allows me to remove it so I can boot in Windows 10 (160GB drive) and I can create a partition on the internal 1.5TB drive however I want to create separate datastores. If I create a smaller partition I can no longer see the drive to create other datastores, if I create a larger partition it becomes the only datastore and I can't add other datastores within it.

Any idea?

Keke
    J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
    The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

That's the expected behaviour.

1 disk = 1 partition = 1 datastore
    VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP 5 / VCAP-DCA4 / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012

Comment

Originally posted by scott28tt View Post
      That's the expected behaviour.

1 disk = 1 partition = 1 datastore
      Bugger

So I can't somehow pre-partition the drive to force it to do what I want?

Keke

Comment

Why do you want separate datastores?

Comment

Why do you want separate datastores?
          Hi Scott,

Is that really important? I would just prefer to do it that way

Keke

Comment

There's no actual benefit of doing so.

Comment

Thx Scott,

There's no actual benefit of doing so.
              I understand what you are saying, I don't agree and wouldn't the world be a boring place if we all did?

I would just prefer to do it my way ... if I can't then I can't but that is what I would prefer.

Keke

Comment

2 threads asking for an opinion, 2 threads where the opinion given is pushed aside - I'll pass thanks.

Comment

2 threads asking for an opinion, 2 threads where the opinion given is pushed aside - I'll pass thanks.
                  Hi Scott,

I didn't specifically ask for your opinion, I just asked how to do it. I'm sorry if I upset you ... like I said earlier I just want to do it that way if I possibly can. To me this is all about control, what can I do if I want to do it. I'm currently jobless (redundant) and de-skilled thanks to my last employer so I just figure I need to learn how to do these things and in part I base that on how they (the VMWare support team) did things there.

As it happens I think that I have come up with a way to do it by using Hyper-V to proivide LUNs of specific sizes ... I figure VMWare won't know about the rest of the disk (if I provide pre-sized LUNs) so will create them the size I want. I haven't tried it yet so this is a bit, "er ... I think" but if it works it will give me what I want.

Again my apologies, I hadn't meant to upset you, I just had my own reasons for doing it that way.

Keke

Comment

This is a great advantage of setting up using VMware Workstation. You can just keep adding disks and creating new datastores.

The only way around this is to add more disks to your current system and use them for your datastores.

Comment

This is one of the questions i have scott28tt, thank you for the answer. So to correctly understand this.

It's not possible to say partition a drive in 2 and keep 2 different VM's (one on each partition)?

Comment

Working...
                      X