Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Easiest Way to Configure Multi-Tenancy in 5.5??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easiest Way to Configure Multi-Tenancy in 5.5??

We have an ESXi 5.5 cluster with vCenter 5.5 for our lab.
    We need to configure it so that another group in my department can share our lab for their testing.
    Ideally, we would like it configured so that they can't see/use our stuff and vice-versa.
    I'm hoping this can be achieved without having to purchase any other VMware products.
    I guess this would be a multi-tenant config?
    I'm looking for information on how to achieve this in the easiest least complex way.

You could achieve the kind of thing you want using folders and/or resource pools, then applying permissions to those containers to the relevant admins.

Even more simple if you have enough hosts/resources to support 2 clusters.
    VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP 5 / VCAP-DCA4 / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012

Comment

Thanks for the reply scott28tt.
      Resource pools seem to be the way to go.
      The only part that doesn't seem straight forward is the storage.
      I'm not sure how I would give one group access to some of the storage and the other group access to the rest?
      Thanks again.

Comment

You can use Resource Pools within your cluster on the Hosts & Clusters view of your inventory, but folders on the VMs & Templates inventory view.

Resource Pools have other implications that you may or may not wish to have for your VMs in terms of compute resource.

You can assign permissions on specific datastores too, there's a pre-defined Datastore Consumer role that assigns a privilege called Allocate Space.
        VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP 5 / VCAP-DCA4 / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012

Comment

Working...
        X