vmware converter doesn't list all disks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vmware converter doesn't list all disks

I'm trying to virtualize an old file server to ESX3.5 platform but I'm running into this issue where the converter software is not able to detect all volumes. I've tried using import wizard from vcenter and also have tried cold cloning with converter enterprise 3.0.3 disk. The server configuration is as follows:

- IBM x345
    - 2 x disk array on raid 6i
    - 1 x mirrored for system disk with 2 partition (sys and data)
    - 1 x raid5 for data disk (file shares)

Now, system disk along with its partition comes up fine in all conversion attempts. It is only the data disk that is giving me headache. I'm not sure if 6i raid card is supported by vmware converter but I would think that all major hardware vendors are supported by vmware converter.

Is there something I need to do to be able to get the disk listed during conversion process? I'd really appreciate any/all help.

Re: vmware converter doesn't list all disks

Hmmm interesting dilemma. Worst case scenario, you could still do the P2V on just the OS disk. Once you have the new vm setup, add a new data disk and push a restore of the data to the new disk.

Perhaps not the optimum solution, but might be the path of least resistance at this point for you.

Comment

Re: vmware converter doesn't list all disks

Originally posted by WraithForm View Post
      Hmmm interesting dilemma. Worst case scenario, you could still do the P2V on just the OS disk. Once you have the new vm setup, add a new data disk and push a restore of the data to the new disk.

Perhaps not the optimum solution, but might be the path of least resistance at this point for you.
      Thanks for your input Wraith. This is actually my backup plan as I'd need significant amount of time to restore the data disk. I already had the file server converted to vm with system disk before posting here. I also have a vmdk attached to a temp server to restore the data drive. However, restoration and delta copy will have to wait till this weekend as such large jobs are not allowed during normal days. Plus I wanted to get to the bottom of it as well for my reference.

I will check the server config again as I have a little doubt that system disk and data disk are on different raid controller, i.e., system disk array on the onboard raid controller whereas data array is on the raid 6i controller. This could be the reason for data disk not showing up in the conversion process. If that is the case, I'll upgrade the drivers plus firmware of the 6i controller and try again.

Comment

Working...
      X