Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMware ESXi 4 - backup VMs & licensing

Hi all

We just got a new dell R710 server. I got a free licence from vmware, downloaded it, burned it on a CD and installed vmware ESXi 4 on its 1GB card to act as hypervisor.

Then I allocated all hard disk space (~600GB) as a single datastorage repository. So far so good.

I also got vSphere as evaluation and installed it on a seperate machine, specifically my computer.

Finally created a new virtual machine running Windows 2008 R2 on it and works OK too.

What I need to know are two things:

1-Are these licences free? or we shall buy some?
    2-Downloading from the datastore to a PC via network takes ages? what is the best method?

Thanks all for your help

Re: VMware ESXi 4 - backup VMs & licensing

downloading from datastore to PC and vice versa takes ages, and always will. try separating your service console (COS) from your vNetworks and see if that helps.
    Else try using FTP (you'll need to enable it on the firewall)

regarding licensing, you must have a valid Windows license for each windows instance, in line with the MS licencing regs. Just having an ESXi or ESX license doesn't give you licences for guests.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by ramon82 View Post
      2-Downloading from the datastore to a PC via network takes ages? what is the best method?

Thanks all for your help
      Trying using FastSCP from Veeam. It is a free download.

-Jason
      MCSA/MCSE 2K3,MCITP:ESA,MCTS x 4,VCP x 2

Comment

Originally posted by VWA4 View Post
        Trying using FastSCP from Veeam. It is a free download.

-Jason

Installed FastSCP but its still very slow The VM is 280GB in size and I am trying to download it to a PC on our LAN which is on CAT5e and gigabit switches.

Is there some other faster method? what am I missing?

Thanks

Comment

are you trying to download files from the esx host while it's in use ?
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Nope its shutdown...very slow transfer ( takes around 8hours to complete!!!

Is there a quicker solution to backup VMs?

Comment

Working...
            X