Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding vCenter Server to Active Directory Disconnects ESX Hosts

setup:

172.18.1.33 ESX 4.1 host # 1 ("VSphere01")
    172.18.1.34 ESX 4.1 host # 2 ("VSphere02")
    172.18.1.35 ESXi 4.1 host # 3 ("VSphere03")
    172.18.1.36 ESXi 4.1 host # 4 ("VSphere04")

172.18.1.100 vCenter Server 4.1, Windows 2008 R2, virtual machine
    172.18.1.105 domain controller and DNS, Windows 2008 R2 Server Core, virtual machine

When the vCenter Server (172.18.1.100) is joined to Active Directory, the list of ESX/ESXi hosts become greyed out in the vSphere Client window, with "(disconnected)" displayed after the server name.

The virtual machines on those hosts continue to run, including the vCenter Server and domain controller.

We could access the vCenter Server using our Active Directory credentials with the desktop vSphere Client, but not manage the ESX/ESXi hosts themselves.

Removing the vCenter Server from Active Directory back to a standalone server resolved the problem.

We have two other separate VMware infrastructures, with their vCenter Servers bound to our production Active Directory (separate from this 172.18.1.0 network) without any issue. Edit to add: the other VMware infrastructures are ESX 3.5 and ESXi 4.0 based.

Since none of my colleagues yet has any idea what could be causing this issue, I'm hoping that somebody here can point me in the right direction.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Robert R.; 17th September 2010, 17:51.

Re: Adding vCenter Server to Active Directory Disconnects ESX Hosts

We actually just performed the same configuration change on our network, and experienced the same exact disconnection problem. I've been poking around a bit to see if there is a Host-side configuration that you need to perform to add it to the Domain as well; I recall seeing the option a while back, but I can't find it now.

I'll update if I find anything; I'm also interested in the solution.

Comment

Can't you reconnect the ESX hosts?
      Marcel
      Technical Consultant
      Netherlands
      http://www.phetios.com
      http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
        Can't you reconnect the ESX hosts?
        For me, when you do it reconnects fine for about 30 seconds or a minute, and then disconnects again. While it's connected, you can manage VMs on that host just fine, make config changes, etc... but once it disconnects again, you have to keep manually reconnecting. Very odd behavior...

I keep googling how to add vCenter into your domain, but the only thing I can find is people's experience adding ESXi to the domain, not vCenter itself.

Comment

This might because the vCenter server should be connected to the domain.

What happen if you delete the ESXi host from vCenter and re-add the host again.
          Marcel
          Technical Consultant
          Netherlands
          http://www.phetios.com
          http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
          "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
          "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

After I posted the original question last week, we discovered that there was an issue with the hardware clock being either 12 hours behind or 12 hours ahead the correct time, which propagated to the system clocks for the ESX/ESXi hosts, and the vCenter server and Windows domain controller.

On Friday, I removed vCenter from the Windows domain.

Since then, the issue with the hardware clock has been fixed.

However, this morning, when I added vCenter back to the Windows domain, ESX hosts 01, 03, and 04 disconnect from vCenter. ESX host 02 is stable.

Fortunately, the Virtual Machines running on the disconnected hosts are still available via Remote Desktop (otherwise, I wouldn't be able to manage vCenter).

Note: In the screen shot below, ESX host 4 shows as being connected. ESX hosts 01, 03, and 04 go into the disconnected/non-responding state less than a minute after manually being connected.
            Attached Files

Comment

dear Sir

i face this problem before

1- i didn't join the V-center to Domain you just add host-A in your DNS for ESX servers
              2- Configure the ESX server network management locally with full ESX host name Example (ESX1.company.com) and Add DNS suffix (Company.com)
              3- test your network from ESX server management and you must get all test success
              4- then try again to work with your server and it will work

Note: You can join the VMs to your domain to manage it if you want or build virtual Domain and use it

Comment

We finally resolved the issue by

(1) uninstalling vCenter

(2) adding the server to the Windows domain

(3) re-installing vCenter

One of my co-workers did this while I was working on something else, but he told me that the configuration information was saved in a database (I think it's MS SQL Server Express by default). Once he re-installed vCenter, he was able to simply import the configuration.

PS: I should add that, as part of the troubleshooting process last week, I created a Windows 2008 R2 Standard Edition (not Server Core) on a physical server, to eliminate any virtualization related issues. However, that did not resolve the issue. The reason I had to switch to Standard Edition from Server Core was because Server Core does not support RADIUS.
                Last edited by Robert R.; 27th September 2010, 17:02.

Comment

Working...
                X