Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vmware ESXi VM archival solution into tape drive

Hi All,

I'd like to know if there is a way to archived/transfer the VM from my ESXi datastore into LTO-4 tape drive ?

This is using paid ESXi not the freeware. Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Albert

Re: Vmware ESXi VM archival solution into tape drive

There is no "native" way to send files to a tape drive on the host machine using ESX/ESXi. - unless there's been a change in v4.0, tape drives aren't supported natively.

I found a solution called VISBU, ... VISBU basically uses the Snapshot methodology to create a snap and store it on a local volume. I then wrote my own tar script to send the files to tape once the backup was complete.

You also need to be careful installing the MT/ST drivers - it may affect your support.. VMWare get narky at you.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Also, ESXi doesn't really allow agent installations, so you need a solution that uses the proper APIs..
      VCP on vSphere (4), MCITP:EA/DBA, MCTS:Blahblah

Comment

Hi,

You could look into Arkeia's solution. They have so-called virtual appliance, which is just an image you plug into your ESX(i) server - there are vStorage capabilities as well. It is quite nice package!

- Michael

Comment

It should be possible to attach a VM to the tape drive, then use backup software inside that VM to do the backups of the other VMs. This may be possible "out of the box" with your hardware, if not you might need to do some CLI work against your ESXi host before the VM will be able to use the tape drive as a SCSI device.

Check here for more on the CLI work - pages 2 + 3: http://communities.vmware.com/message/1573841#1573841
          VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP 5 / VCAP-DCA4 / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012

Comment

Working...
          X