Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recovering from failure (mounting existing volumes)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recovering from failure (mounting existing volumes)

I had an NFS store die on me (entire unit) and I had to send the drives to recover the data. My main SQL database was on the affected machine and I need some advice on the next step.

Assuming they can retrieve the vmdk file I know I can get to it via VMWare mount utility, but I would like to mount the system into my ESX system.

The files will be stripped from NFS and placed on a NTFS file structure so I need some advice on how I can move it back to the ESX server and then create a VM to use the disk.

----

From other posts it looks like I can use the wizard and point to the folder and the vmdk file (is this correct?), but I have never tried it.

I think I will be transferring the file(s) via the Datastore tab in Vcenter (to local storage), is there a better way?

Hobie

Re: Recovering from failure (mounting existing volumes)

the only other way I can think of to transfer the file would be via FTP, if you have it enabled, or attaching it to a USB2 drive with an EXT2 file system or similar (ESX is picky about what it supports) - however you'd need a linux installation in the first place to put the file onto the usb2 disk.

to answer your other question, yes, you should be able to simply create a new guest machine, and point it to an existing disk.

Let me know how you go
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thanks for the tip, I did not think of using FTP. I'll look into that and report how things go..

Data recovery will take about 1 week, so I'm open to any other suggestions

Thanks,
      Hobie

Comment

to use FTP, you'll have to ensure that inbound FTP firewall profile is open.
        (and if you're going to pull it from ftp instead of push it across, you'll need to open the other direction FTP, if that makes sense ?)
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Quick update:

I received my data recovery a few weeks ago and I was able to easily copy the file back into the ESX server.

Once the file was back on the server I created a new machine. You have to go through the process until it shows the options for the hard drive. You need to delete the drives it gives and create new drives and point them to the existing files.

I was able to get the system back up and running and merged my SQL tables using a painful amount of logic to not cause issues.

Thanks for the advice on this.
          Hobie

Comment

Working...
          X