Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESXi Backup

Hi All,
    We are a remote office to a large (ish) organisation and have a need to replace our local AD server. My thoughts are to purchase a new server and install ESXi (free version) and setup a new virtual AD server linked to our main domain. So far so good...
    After we virtualise a couple of older servers onto the same box, we will be left with only one physical server on site.
    My question is, how do I back this up locally.
    I would like to purchase a LTO Ultrium drive and install Backupexec on the AD server. I know ESXi 4 can create virtual SCSI ports, but will this work..?
    Essentially I would be using a virtual server to back itself up. Is this workable?

I am open to any ideas or suggestions you might have. Purchasing another server is not really an option nor is the purchase if a SAN etc.

Also, I'm not that familiar with the various flavours of VMware but have a good understanding...enough I hope..!

Hope this all makes sense. If you have any questions, please fire away...I'll do my best to answer promptly.

Regards
    Mike.

Re: ESXi Backup

You could use VCB proxy for this...
    Or look at here: http://www.veeam.com

They have some good products.

Comment

Oh and I forgot to mention this as well:
      http://communities.vmware.com/message/1029047

That helped me few years back

Comment

Originally posted by gregaSLO View Post
        Oh and I forgot to mention this as well:

That helped me few years back

it's great thread regarding ESXi Backup, thanks for haring such a useful information over here...I was also looking for a backup solution but they are expensive. I found something which could be interesting..... look at URL REMOVED BY MOD Greets!
        Last edited by wullieb1; 7th February 2011, 00:49.

Comment

AnthonyB,

Is that your website??? If it is then please read the forums rules regarding advertising.

I have removed the URL from your post.

Comment

We use Veeam software and backup the VMs on disk rather than tape.

Comment

Working...
            X