• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help for a newbe

Hi Everybody,

I'm quite new. First day in this Forum
    So be kind with me...

My boss what me to install a new SQL server 2008 with failover

I think it could affordable to use Vmware server ?

This is what i need :
    - My SQL server has to be online always. I can manage 5- 10 min off but not more.

Do i have to invest in the huge VMWare Solution or i can do it with 2 Real servers + 2 Vm Server + 1 Nas. When one is down, i switch to the other ?

What do you think?

Thanks for your help

Re: Help for a newbe

For business critical systems, get a good consultant -- the money you spend will be far less than the business cost of things going wrong

You will get good advice here, but you will have to carry the responsibility if things do not go right

Remember you have log shipping, physical clustering and hyper-v as options for SQL server
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hello OSSIAN,

Thanks for your quick feedback.
      You right, a consultant will be the good solution.
      But i'm pay to manage the network and i have to make it works.
      Our server is not so critical. so i'm open for all ideas...

My system will be on Windows server 2008 so Hyper V. Could be great.
      But if my hardware is failling ? how i can put it back on quickly ?

Thanks for your help

Comment

With SQL server you can cluster 2 physical hosts, with the data on a SAN

Using HyperV on Server 2008R2 you have a number of high availability options:
        http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...-overview.aspx

VMware offers similar capabilities

But plan well first and make sure your boss has signed off the "not so critical" requirement as many bosses appear to forget that when things go wrong
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Tell me...

Before making a very good solution.
          Can i test it by doing this :
          - I install The Harware and Windows On it
          - I intall VMware server and create a new VM with Windows 2008 + SQL 2008
          - I put all data on a SAN
          - Incase of an hardware failure i install VMWare server on another server temporary and lunch my VM Store in the SAN.
          Is this solution will work ?

Comment

Still though go for a consultant.
            You can't do it all or know it all.
            If this is critical, which is IMHO true since the short amount of "affordable" downtime, I would certainly rethink about it.

You can use VMWare vSphere with High Availability or Fault Tolerance, you can use MS Clustering Services and you might also consider Hyper-V.
            But all of these solutions requires a Shared Storage environment which you might need to setup this as well, eg SAN, ISCSI, NAS, FC, FCoE etc.

Adittional doc: VMware: http://www.vmware.com/solutions/busi...ical-apps/sql/

There is a lot to consider before actually implementing this kind of game.
            Marcel
            Technical Consultant
            Netherlands
            http://www.phetios.com
            http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
            "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
            "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Well here's something. You're about to purchase two real servers for this SQL server. That's committing something like 5-10k. Unless you're buying a Dell T1xx so you're committing a whole 2k or something. But regardless, by the sounds of it you're making your first foray into Virtualization. Good for you. You will quite likely in time migrate most of your environment to virtual or cloud.

Keeping that in mind, you have to plan for expansion and not just this one virtualized server. The whole point of virtualized platforms is to reduce your total cost of ownership while reducing down time. Implementing VMware for a single server kinda defeats the point. Think big, bigger at the very least.

For what you're looking for simply installing Server 2008 on the bare metal and implementing a SQL cluster accomplishes all your requirements with the least fuss.

There is advantages to this route, such as the SQL server utilizing all the cores on the box if you're purchasing dual six core cpus etc.
              No need for yourself to learn and maintain a whole new environment. VMware is linux/unix based and you may have no experience with it.
              I could go on...

Now I understand where you're coming from stating that the environment is your responsibility. You may be hesitant to look like you're unable to accomplish a task without bringing in outside help, or it may be cost consciousness. But there are good reasons behind these gentlemens recommendations to bring in a consultant.

As a consultant I would look at the rest of your environment and take into consideration growth and a long list of other variables. Write up documentation for you, do the implementation, or even guide you through it.

So without getting too long winded.. As far as I'm concerned you have three options.

A. Hire a consultant to do your current virtualized SQL migration/implementation. Also lay out a plan for further virtualization of your network environment.

B. Learn all about VMware ESX and do this yourself. BUT, have a consultant come in and do a sanity check on your environment before going live.

C. Forgo all virtualization efforts and install on bare metal.

Best of luck!

Cheers,

Ravi Shanghavi, Ottawa

Comment

Working...
              X