Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Laptop with Intel-Core-i5-6200U, to virtualize 64-bit Guests. ( VMWare 7 )

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop with Intel-Core-i5-6200U, to virtualize 64-bit Guests. ( VMWare 7 )

Hello,

I want to buy a HP 15 - i5-ac139ns.

I would like to host some 64-bit guest machines inside (Windows 2012, Exchange 2010...) but I wasn't sure whether this will be possible.

So I looked up the processor: http://ark.intel.com/products/88193/...up-to-2_80-GHz

And I read a confirmation that this processor has Virtualization capabilities when I read: Intel® Virtualization Technology (VT-x)

But it comes with a warning which I paste here:

"...‡ This feature may not be available on all computing systems. Please check with the system vendor to determine if your system delivers this feature, or reference the system specifications (motherboard, processor, chipset, power supply, HDD, graphics controller, memory, BIOS, drivers, virtual machine monitor-VMM, platform software, and/or operating system) for feature compatibility. Functionality, performance, and other benefits of this feature may vary depending on system configuration ..."

Which I think it means: Go to HP and ask them.

I called HP but they weren't able to tell me so they opened a case and they will call me back tomorrow.

I was wondering if I could look into this further myself, but don't know how. I tried on vmware website, hp and INTEL site.

Thanks in advance.

-
    Madrid (Spain).

CHeck in the BIOS of the laptop nad make sure those options are enabled.

What software will you be running?

I'd also like to point out that you will need lots of RAM to run the VM's you're proposing. I would say at least 8GB just for your VM's so probably 16GB in total.

Comment

Thanks.

Yes, I knew I had to enable it on the bios but from what I read it might be a processor issue, that I wont be able to have 64-bit guests operating systems in vmware 7.

And yes, this laptop comes with 8 GB of RAM ( one of the reasons to choose it )

Thanks again.
      -
      Madrid (Spain).

Comment

If the bios has the VT options, you should be ok
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by loureed4 View Post
          Thanks.

Yes, I knew I had to enable it on the bios but from what I read it might be a processor issue, that I wont be able to have 64-bit guests operating systems in vmware 7.

And yes, this laptop comes with 8 GB of RAM ( one of the reasons to choose it )

Thanks again.
          Luis, 8GB is NOT enough. Spend the extra and get 16GB installed. I have a desktop that I use which has 16GB and I now find it is not enough even with Hyper-V Dynamic RAM set. Don't know if VMWare has a similar option but Wullie will know.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Agreed - my main laptop for VMs is 32Gb with SSDs so I can take maximum advantage of dynamic memory on the VMs. Even then it is sometimes not enough
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks all !!

Unfortunately I cannot spend more money to put 16 GB of RAM, I wish I could, because I was hoping to hold 6 virtual machines or so within the laptop, but from my experience, if I put 4 is ok, if I add a fifth, things begins to be slow, and six is almost impossible.

Since they are lab enviroment, I have found that I can get away with having 1GB RAM for Exchange , and the same for Windows 2012. Probably not the scenario , hehe.
              -
              Madrid (Spain).

Comment

If you can't presently afford the extra 8GB, make sure you get the laptop with a single 8GB modules so later when you have a spare few Euros you can throw another 8GB module in.

Alternatively, purchase a cheap desktop, on-board video, i7 and fill it with RAM. Then use your present laptop to RDP into it. If you use Windows 8 on the present laptop then you can install Hyper-V and use it to manage the VMs on the desktop. I went the desktop option in 2010 after my second back surgery so I could play catch up with the software. A suitable laptop at the time was costing AUD$1,200 to 1,500. The cheap and nasty desktop cost me AUD$600. (Also had WOL on the desktop so I didn't have to get out of my convalescence armchair to start it when it was shutdown). I still have the desktop though I am limited to a max 16GB RAM unfortunately.

Also look around for older Servers that Data Centres have tossed in their upgrades. Beware of the old Dell PowerEdge 1950 1RU Servers (hope I got the number right) as they are not VM compatible which is a pity as they are real cheap now. Probably a good thing as they were noisy due to the tiny cooling fans spinning at Warp Factor 9.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Those are great suggestions! .

I really need to choose a laptop now. I wish I could afford both. Even the laptop will be tough paying for!

I will make sure that it comes with at least 2 8GB modules, this is a great piece of advice!
                  -
                  Madrid (Spain).

Comment

Working...
                  X