No announcement yet.

ESXi Dell server question

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESXi Dell server question

Hi All,

I am planning on adding some more disks to the Dell R520 server and I wonder if I can do it while server is operational without causing any disruption.
    Server is located in a remote office and preferably I want to do it during working hours as office is closed over the weekend.

At the moment server is running ESXi 5.1 , it has 6 slots used out of 8

What I want to do is remove 2 disks and put 4 new ones so all 8 slots are in use.

At the moment physical config is

disk 1,2 - RAID 1 - datastore1
    disk 3,4,5,6 - RAID 5 - datastore2

I want to move VMs to datastore1 (it is a free esxi so I need to do cold migration, I can do that out of hours) .

When that's done I want to delete datastore2 , go to the office and physically remove disks 5,6 and add new 5,6,7,8
    This is the bit I am concerned with, will that not cause any issues with ESXi and VMs running on datastore1?

If not then I can remote console after hours (using idrac) and go to RAID config and configure the disks.

The R520 should come with hotswap capabilities so in theory you should be able to achieve what you require.

Only thing I would suggest is to remove the storage from VMware when you move all the disks over. You'll then need to create your RAID setup, can be done via iDRAC from memory, and then rescan storage.

If it were me and I was visiting the office anyway I would do it all out of hours and add them while the server was shutdown.​

Thanks wullieb1, I might go there over the weekend and do it in one go.