Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Engine Error" Trouble launching games

Hello,

I recently set up the vmware player 7.1.0 build-2496824 and I am trying to run cs:go via steam, I already spent hours on fixing various problems with that but never find a total solution, now I finally dont know what to do anymore and I'm not able to find anything on the web. Whenever I try to launch csgo, it tries to launch for a few seconds (only a black screen) then shows this "Engine Error":
    "
    Your graphics hardware does not support all features (CSM) needed to run this game.

Device Info:
    Marked unsupported: 0
    Supports PCF Sampling: 0
    Driver Name: "VMware SVGA 3D"
    VendorID: 0x15AD, DeviceID: 0x0405
    DriverHigh: 0.0008000E, DriverLow: 0.00010033
    DXLevel: 95, MinDXSupportLevel: 90, MaxDXSupportLevel: 95
    "

I hope someone is able to help me!

Thanks

I think the problem you have is exactly as it is in the error message.

The Graphics card is unable to support the features required by the game and I doubt it ever will support it.

Comment

The graphics card in my pc does run exactly this game every day.

Comment

So use that.

VMware does not have the graphics card to support it.

Comment

There are people using vmware being able to launch this game. My question was if anyone has advice on how to get it to run with my setup, please get back to topic.

Comment

There are people who have hacked the game to get it playing in VMware Workstation not player, it actually appears that anyone who has done it is using pirated software.

Is this what you are attempting to do?? I hope not because i will ban you from the forums for asking about hacking/cracking/pirating software.

If not then maybe your question is best asked on the Steam forums where you will get a more targeted response to your query

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...lay.php?f=1188

Comment

I am completely new to this forum and my first impression is really crazy. I have never heard of what you talk about there. There is literally NO WAY you can assume I was trying to hack/crack/pirate software. I have no idea what makes you think so and I find it quite offensive to just assume that. I guess I will look somewhere else for help. I mean I asked a pretty normal question. I'm just trying to launch a certain programm on vmware, it doesnt work, so I try to get help on a vmware forum, so yeah. Thanks alot.

(and by the way of course you can launch games on vmware without hacking anything, it works without any complications in most cases from my experience)

Comment

Your new to the forum. Yep i agree.

You ask a specific question about running a game inside a VM. I research what you are truong to do and the first 3-4 pages in Google point to Russian hacks and downloading torrents to create your VM's so maybe you'll understand my skepticism by this.

The VMware SVGA card will not be able to run CS:GO and as far as i know VMware Player will not do passthrough for video cards.

Are you able to check the VM settings in VMware Player and make sure that they are set to accelerate graphics and set the memory. Else you may need a different card that can handle OpenGL, which is what i think CS:GO uses.

https://www.vmware.com/support/ws55/...ling_host.html

Comment

There is nothing I can do to affect graphics, I can set the memory and did that.
                  What do you mean by "need a different card" my host card is able to handle everything. How do I change the vmware svga card? (the link you mentioned only concerns the host graphics card)

Comment

I think the problem is that the VMPlayer emulates a fairly low spec graphics card - one that is likely to be compatible with all the hardware it might be running on. Clearly that is not good enough for the game. The host graphics card does not come into the picture.

VM Workstation - a somewhat higher end product - has graphics options including making better use of the host graphics. If you have it available, you could try moving your VM from player to workstation and experimenting with graphics settings.
                    Tom Jones
                    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

are there maybe freeware virtual machines with which that is possible too?

Comment

Depending on your physical computer's OS, you could look into Virtual Box, Virtual PC (or XP Mode in Win7) or client HyperV in Win8 )
                        No guarantee of success, and you would have to create a new VM to run your game on. Why can't you just install it on the host?
                        Last edited by Ossian; 16th June 2015, 17:40.
                        Tom Jones
                        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks, what do you think, with which vm are the chances the highest? Which one should I try first?

Comment

Really no idea without any clue about the physical computer you are using, but I suspect forgetting about VMs completely is your best hope
                            Tom Jones
                            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                            IT Trainer / Consultant
                            Ossian Ltd
                            Scotland

Comment

Virtual PC uses a S3 Trio 32/64 and Hyper-V on Server 2008 R2 uses a Microsoft VM Bus Video Device.
                              1 1 was a racehorse.
                              2 2 was 1 2.
                              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                              X