VMware Esxi 5.5 support for Windows Server 2012 question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMware Esxi 5.5 support for Windows Server 2012 question

Im looking to buy a server with this processor: IBM System x3650 M2 server. I have learned from VMware website that this server supports Esxi 5.5. I also learned that Esxi 5.5 can virtualize Windows Server 2012 (please correct me if I am wrong). Does it imply that Windows Server 2012 will work on IBM system x3650 M2?

I have little knowledge of Windows Server 2012 so I am assuming it does not have any special hardware architecture requirements.
    Last edited by oakland; 13th June 2015, 06:27.

No it doesn't imply that Windows Server 2012 will work if directly installed on that server. It implies that Windows Server 2012 will run as a virtual machine in ESXi 5.5 installed directly on that hardware. The physical hardware is almost completely irrelevant to the virtual machine. As long as your hypervisor is supported on the hardware and your virtual machine is supported on the hypervisor then you don't need to worry about virtual machine compatibility with the hardware. You're not running the virtual machine directly on the hardware.

Comment

Microsoft will tell you if Windows is supported on certain hardware.

VMware will tell you if Windows is supported in one of their virtual machines, and if their ESXi hypervisor is supported on certain hardware.
      VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP 5 / VCAP-DCA4 / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012

Comment

Working...
      X