No announcement yet.

Migrate to new VCenter

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migrate to new VCenter

Hi All

We are wanting to migrate all of our hosts to a new Vcenter server, and through my research it looks like a pain in the a**. we have all systems connected to vDistributed Switches, and they are saying I need to create a local vswitch, migrate the guests to this and then recreate it all on the other side once I've moved the hosts, and then change the guest networking again. we have 180 machines so its a bit of a painful task, but surely there must be an easier way to do this as there are far larger vm farms than our out there, so how would they have migrated from a 2003 server VCenter to a 2008 or 2012?

I'm thinking at this point that I should rebuild the new VCenter as a 5.1 (current version of environment) attach it to the current database (treat it like a DR to a new server maybe?)then upgrade the new server to VCenter 6?

we would prefer to start fresh as there have been some bad decisions made in the past that have tainted the current vcenter so would prefer to startoff fresh if that is easily possible

Keen to hear your thoughts and learn from your experience