Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VMware vSphere 4 Host Memory Upgrade,any considerations.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMware vSphere 4 Host Memory Upgrade,any considerations.

Hi

Just have a question. I am planning on upgrading the host memory for all of our ESX4 Host servers to 32gb Ram.

Any tips or advice on pre checks I should do. I know its only a memory upgrade but because we're so reliant on this if something did go wrong I want to make sure I did everything I could do to get it back up and running quickly as possible.

Are there any configs I should backup or checks I should do?

Any advice will be most appreciated. At the moment there are no issues as far as I am aware on any of the ESX hosts. All are running ESX4.0.0 175625.

Thanks

Re: VMware vSphere 4 Host Memory Upgrade,any considerations.

Just do it host for host.
    Move the vm's with vMotion from the first host, bring it down place memory, bring it up again and continue to the next one.
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

ranjb,

As dumber pointed you should be able to just go host to host a use VMotion to migate guest VM's off the host's.

If you don't feel comfortable with that most of the major server manufactures offer memory testing utils that you can download and run. Run the memory tests for an extended amount of time (12 to 24 hours) to make sure that you don't have any bad modules.

As far as backing up an ESX host it is all most easier just to rebuild from scracth then go through the steps of trying to do a restore. Also, depending on your licensing model you could use Host Profiles to quickly set up a host.

But again, dumber ways should work 99.999% of the time and will be alot easier.

-Jason
      MCSA/MCSE 2K3,MCITP:ESA,MCTS x 4,VCP x 2

Comment

Production environment? If so then do a burn-in on the memory first mate. Nobody will fault you for having done so. The flip side rather...

Br,
        Ravi Shanghavi, Ottawa

Comment

Working...
        X