vSphere Design Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vSphere Design Question

i am about to roll out a vSphere infrastructure to my office, datacentre and client sites.

each site will have one or more ESXi servers on site.

i am looking for the best advice on where to run & location my vCenter servers. i do not want to run them as Virtual Machines and hence they will be a physical server.

is it best to have a vCenter server at each site and then have these connect to a 'main' vCenter server which i will run at the datacentre? the theory is that i connect my vSphere client to this main vCenter server and will have access to all the ESXi hosts from there.

i want to be able to clone, backup, migrate, template VMs at each of the sites on a regular basic and i assume that running these across a WAN is a bad idea, hence the theory for having vCenter servers at each.

if anyone could advise me on the best way to plan this solution i would most appreciate it.

many thanks

Ryan

Re: vSphere Design Question

Will your vCenter databases be local on the server or somewhere else in the environment? If elsewhere, virtualized or not?

Out of curiosity why are you choosing not to virtualize the vCenters? That's a fairly expensive decision particularly in your case.

-Ravi Shanghavi, Ottawa

Comment

Take a look at VMware Go, the link below has a fairly good explanation of it.

http://www.vknowledge.nl/2010/01/18/...-to-the-cloud/

Comment

There are several things you will have to condiser.
        How many client sites are you talking about?

What kind of storage are you planning on having at each of the sites? (Local/Shared) - You do not necessarily need a vCenter to perform the backups so perhaps you do not need onein each location.

You can run the management over the WAN with each ESXi server connecting to the vCenter Server in the central location.

I agree with Ravi - for one/more ESXi in each site - a dedicated vCenter on physical hardware is overkill.

If you do go with the vCenter in each location - you will need a Std. version of vCenter which costs ~ $5,000 per instance - this is in the case that you want to link the vCenter's together in Linked mode - and you will still be limited to the amount of vCenters you can linked together.

If you canprovide more details about your planning maybe we can assist you better.
        Maish
        ----------------------------------------------------------
        Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
        VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
        MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
        A proud husband and father of 3 girls
        If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

thanks for the replies. the reason for having a vCenter server at each site (virtual or physical) is so that when i perform tasks, such as clone, template VMs the local vCenter server does this.

for example, i have a vCenter server in my office and i have just cloned a VM running on an ESXi server in my office and it took about 5 mins.

then using the same vCenter server i cloned a VM on a remote ESXi server, this so far has taken 20 mins and only done 45%.

therefore i have proven that having a local vCenter server at the same site as your ESXi servers is of benefit

with this in mind doesn't it therefore make sense to have a vCenter server at each site?

NB. all storage is local to the ESXi machines

Comment

The question is though - are you willing to pay ~$5,000 per site for that luxury?

Did you clone locally ? (i.e. from the server to itself or to another server)
            Maish
            If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

One option to consider is if there is only going to be one to three ESX hosts at each site and using local/attach storage would be to go with one of the SMB packages that VMware offers. The essentials kit lists for $500.00 and provides vCenter Essentials in each package. Just might be something worth looking into. Here is a link to compare the different SMB editions.

TIA,

-Jason
              MCSA/MCSE 2K3,MCITP:ESA,MCTS x 4,VCP x 2

Comment

Perfectly True Jason, but then again they will each need to be managed independently, you cannot use Linked-mode to group them into one entity.
                Maish

Have a good one!!

Comment

I guess it is a question of how much money to spend over the extra administration....

-Jason
                  MCSA/MCSE 2K3,MCITP:ESA,MCTS x 4,VCP x 2

Comment

Originally posted by VWA4 View Post
                    I guess it is a question of how much money to spend over the extra administration....

-Jason
                    Correct, I'd have a hard time justifying to myself forget a return on investment to management for the costs of the physical server hardware. Additional power/cooling/support costs, along with the licensing.. yikes all of that against my almost unattended delegation of tasks like cloning. No way..

This is way beyond a nice to have.

Comment

Working...
                    X