Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virtual Center Database Management

Hey All,

I was completing a health check of our vSphere 4 environment to prep for the upgrade to vSphere 4.1 and stumbled across something that surprised me. After looking at our SQL cluster I noticed that the DB file for VC was 2.8 GB, but our VC Log file was 16 GB in size. I am no SQL DBA but that seems to be a bit odd to me. Is this normal or is there some day to day maintenance that we need to be doing to get those logs into the actual DB?

TIA,

-Jason
    MCSA/MCSE 2K3,MCITP:ESA,MCTS x 4,VCP x 2

Re: Virtual Center Database Management

You need to perform a log backup and then truncate the log. You should do this on a regular basis to keep the log file from growing so large. This is all based on my assumption that the DB is in Full recovery mode and not Simple recovery mode. If you'd rather not have to "manage" it on an ongoing basis, then backup and truncate the log and then put the DB into Simple revcovery mode.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
      You need to perform a log backup and then truncate the log. You should do this on a regular basis to keep the log file from growing so large. This is all based on my assumption that the DB is in Full recovery mode and not Simple recovery mode. If you'd rather not have to "manage" it on an ongoing basis, then backup and truncate the log and then put the DB into Simple revcovery mode.
      Joe,

Thank you for the response. Other then the log files, are there any other concerns we should have about putting the DB in simple recovery mode?

TIA,

-Jason

Comment

Personally I don't think so. Simple recovery mode would limit your ability to restore the DB to a point in time using the transaction logs that would normally be required for a point in time restore. If you don't have any concern about not being able to do a point in time restore (and you probably don't seeing that you weren't backing up the transaction log in the first place) then I don't see any problem with it. The following link gives some info on the difference betweeen the recovery models.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189275.aspx

Comment

From the Vmware white paper - VMware vCenter 4 Database Performance for Microsoft SQL Server 2008
          Use a Simple Recovery Model or Size the Transaction Log.

VMware recommends using a simple recovery model for your vCenter database server. A simple model reclaims log space to keep space requirements small, essentially eliminating the need to manage the transaction log space.

The vCenter Server installer alerts the user about using a simple recovery model for the database during installation.

If you use a different recovery model setting Enable Automatic Statistics , you should size the transaction log. The general rule of thumb for setting the transaction log size is to set it to 20-25% of the database size (see “Estimate Database Size,” above). The smaller the size of your database, the greater the size of the transaction log should be, and vice versa. Plan to back up the transaction log more often.
          And also
          Decide on a Suitable Backup Strategy for Your Environment

If you have no backup strategy, the SQL Server transaction log continues to grow indefinitely, and in a relatively short period of time your database could become quite large. Refer to the appropriate Microsoft documentation to determine the backup strategy that best serves your needs.
          Maish
          ----------------------------------------------------------
          Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
          VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
          MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
          A proud husband and father of 3 girls
          If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

Thanks for the links and post Maish...

-Jason

Comment

No Problem
              Maish
              Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
              VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
              MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
              A proud husband and father of 3 girls
              If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

Working...
              X