Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pinging 2 NIC's

Hello to everyone,

I have encountered a strange problem while trying to set up my lab for learning purposes. I am using VMware workstation 7.1 on Windows 7 x64 host. At the moment I have 2 VM's up and running named server1 which runs windows server 2003 r2 with sp2 and client1 which runs windows xp sp2.

Server1 has 2 NIC's:

NIC1 - 10.10.0.254/16 (private)
    NIC2 - 10.20.0.254/16 (public)

Client1 has 1 NIC:

IP: 10.10.0.1/16
    Gateway: 10.10.0.254

Both VM's NIC's are set to custom and are using:

Server1 - NIC1 -> VMnet2
    Server1 - NIC2 -> VMnet3

Client1 -> VMnet2

I have included a diagram in attachment.

Now my problem is this:

From client1 I can ping NIC1 (which is fine) but I can also ping NIC2. As far as I know pinging NIC2 should only be possible if server1 has some kind of routing enabled on. I am confused now...is this a bug in VMware or it should work like this?
    Attached Files

Re: Pinging 2 NIC's

No I don't think it a bug.
    You have add both nics to the same subnet.
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
      No I don't think it a bug.
      You have add both nics to the same subnet.

I'm not sure I understand fully...what do you mean same subnet? Aren't VMnet2 and VMnet3 supposed to be 2 different networks?

Comment

oh, wait, I misread your subnetting... whoops. I read /8 instead of /16. My bad.
        Ok both are on different subnets. However if I'm not mistaken then for each vmnet VMware Workstation creates virtual interfaces on the host computer.
        Check your local interfaces. Probably you have one or 2 (or more) physical interfaces and a couple of vmware interfaces, which makes it directly connected networks.
        Marcel
        Technical Consultant
        Netherlands
        http://www.phetios.com
        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Workstation creates 10 virtual switches or VMnet's from VMnet0 to VMnet9.

VMnet0 is automatically bridged to host's physical adapter.
          VMnet1 is set to host only.
          VMnet8 is set to NAT.

All others are set to host only with one exception. In virtual network editor there is an option called "Connect a host virtual adapter to this network" that if checked actually creates those virtual adapters on host machine and enables access to the VM's from host.

VMnet1 and VMnet8 have this option enabled and I can see them in adapter list on host. VMnet0 is in bridge mode and doesn't have this option available. All other virtual switches have that option disabled.

Now in theory there shouldn't be any kind of connection between VMnet2 and VMnet3 and this is really confusing part because I can ping between them. I have unbridged VMnet0 and deselected "Connect a host virtual adapter to this network" for VMnet1 and VMnet8 and I can still ping both nics on server1. With everything I have disabled host is not aware of any kind of VM's or virtual networks running or at least it shouldn't be.

I'm out of ideas here...really don't know what is going on

Comment

Is anyone willing to recreate this small virtual network on their own machines to help me sort this out? That way I could see if this is isolated problem or a common one.

Thanks in advance

Comment

I've figured out what was going on here. Client1 has default gateway set and that enables all NICs to be pingable on a target machine. Without it everything works fine so I guess it's not a bug after all.

Comment

Working...
              X