Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESXi 4 Question about Hard Disks and Virtual Host Requirements

Hi there,

I have a Dell PE 2950III with 2 x 280GB HD setup up with RAID1. Is it OK to install VMWare ESXi 4 and have the Virtual Machines all running from the same logical partition? Would or do I setup things so that the VMWare Host software would sit on 1 partition about 20GB and the have all my VM's run of the partition that has 260GB of free space or does it not matter to VMWare? Also what is the recommended VM image HD space required? Could I allocate 30GB of HD space and then increase it in the future if required? Thank you for any advice.

Kind Regards

Re: ESXi 4 Question about Hard Disks and Virtual Host Requirements

best practice is usually to separate the ESX serviceconsole and the datastore partition.

you can do it, but it's not recommended.

I know with ESX4, you can do "thin disk provisioning" where you say for instance, I want to build a virtual guest with 40GB, but only give it 5GB right now. THis means you can deploy quicker, and with less initial disk space. The disk will grow to a total of 40GB, provided you have enough space

(and beware of over-provisioning!) - by this i mean don't provision 3 guests, with 100GB thin-provisioned disks, thinking "oh they only use 40GB each" and I have 250GB so I'm not over using it... one guest goes run-away and suddenly your hosts come to a halt
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Re: ESXi 4 Question about Hard Disks and Virtual Host Requirements

Many thanks for your advice and reply.

Kind Regards

Comment

Working...
      X