No announcement yet.

vm error : Unable to change virtual machine power state : unable to open file

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vm error : Unable to change virtual machine power state : unable to open file

Hi Friends,
    I have installed the vmworkstation 64bit in SUSE Linux(kernal 2.6.16, x86_64) and the version is "VMWare Workstation 7.1.0 build -261024". After installing that, I created the new virtual machine with the .vmx(SUSE linux) file. While trying to power on that machine, I am getting the following error,
    "Unable to change virtual machine power state : Unable to open file "/root/vmware//SUSE-Linux-Enterprise-Server-000006-cl1.vmdk". The system cannot find the file specified."

I tried removing the .lck file but then no useful result. Kindly direct in the right direction. And I am badly need it urgently.

Thanks,
    balasmart

Re: vm error : Unable to change virtual machine power state : unable to open file

Hi,

I understand you have installed VMware workstation, and tried to start a new virtual guest, which fails stating it cannot find the VMDK file.

So did you create the new virtual guest and install the software yourself, or did you download a pre-built virtual guest?

a VMDK file is the actual DISK image. A VMX file is a configuration file.
    You must have both.

Could you walk me through how you created or tried to use th virtual guest?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
    X