No announcement yet.

Installation of VM's

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installation of VM's

Hi Guys,

I am planning to have a new IBM Server X3350 which will be directly attached to a DS3300. The new X3350 will have Esxi 4.0 installed it and we want to create a VFMS partition on the DS3300.

I want to know how which type of card will I need to connect the x3350 to the DS3300 and how will I configure the RAID Level on the DS3300 so that I can use it as datastore on the Esxi server

Re: Installation of VM's

To connect a DS3300, I think you'd need a RAID card of some description. I'm not really up on IBM tech so much. If it was a Dell, I'd tell you to get a PERC6e.

To define the best actual RAID level probably depends on the ultimate use of your virtual hosts. RAID10 gives you a bucket load of redundancy, at the expense of space.
    RAID5 also gives you redundancy, and you don't lose as much space. It's slower to write though.

The way you actually configure it shouldn't matter at all to ESX, as long as it can see the volume, and the volume is smaller than 2 terabytes.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

Use ISCSI i think, although not really fast...:
      •Two 1 Gbps iSCSI host connections, and one 3 Gbps SAS drive interface for capacity expansion, per controller
      Technical Consultant

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Your only option is a iSCSI connection since the DS3300 has only that. The other possibility would have been Fiber but the DS3300 is iSCSI only. So that's that.

Host interface Two host ports per controller, 1 Gbps iSCSI

So on ESX you configure the storage via iSCSI to the DS3300. There is no additional hardware needed... well that's assuming you've got multiple NICs in your x3550. Ideally you'd have two GB nics connecting to the DS3300 which you'll use for iSCSI and a separate nic for management. So 3 in total. The x3550's come with two standard. and two optional. So you can take the IBM option or just get a intel pro 1000 server nic. You'll probably want to spring for the dual nic but a single will do.

You don't need a raid card in your server or anything like that... but I'm guessing what you're asking is what sort of raid setting to use on the array. The DS3300 supports the listed levels below. Raid 10 is ideal, but raid 6 is the best choice in my opinion. RAID 5 while saving you a extra drive.. is scary when you look at the % of array failures on drive rebuilds. This is when one drive in your RAID array fails, and while the array is building.. another dies.. which leaves you with nothing. Whereas RAID 6 is dual parity. So you've got two drives acting as parity instead of the one in RAID 5.

RAID levels RAID 0, 1, 3, 5, 6, 10

I also realized I didn't ask, do you have hard drives in the x3550. Or are you doing a boot from SAN? Assuming you have drives and that was part of your question. Do raid 1 (mirrored) since the ESXi is very lightweight.... wait.. is esxi coming installed on the hardware.. perhaps in a USB drive style? I see the below. This may well be the case.

Support for the VMware ESXi 4.0 embedded hypervisor (optional)

* Innovative, thin hypervisor architecture is operating system-independent and designed to optimize virtualization performance
        * Integrated into server hardware to help provide compatible, pretested and optimized hardware configurations
        * Optimized for remote management tools and industry-standard protocols such as CIM

Ravi Shanghavi, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
        Last edited by Ravi Shanghavi; 24th June 2010, 23:33.

Hi Ravi,

Thanks a lot for your explanation, it more precise and clear now.

Thanks to others also for your help.