Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMRUN error - unable to execute VMRUN commands

Hello all,

I recently just downloaded and installed a copy of VMWARE Workstation V.6.5.1 and quite new at using it.

I encountered a problem when trying to run a VMWARE instance using the DOS command line.

The error I received was:

C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware VIX>vmrun -T ws start "D:\VM\VM_WORKSITE_AD\Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition.vmx"
    Error: Cannot open VM: D:\VM\VM_WORKSITE_AD\Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition.vmx, Cannot read the virtual machine configuration file

I have googled and tried all sorts of possible solutions:
    • Checked if the configuration file was corrupted (was not).
    • Added the VMWARE Workstation program directory in the System PATH variable
    • Added in the config files the parameter "msg.autoAnswer = TRUE".
    • Tried the vmrun start path-to-configfile.vmx nogui option
    • Have checked the permission accessibility options

Seems the only vmrun command I could execute was "vmrun list" and all the others (such as stop/start) keep yielding the same error message.

However I was able to run the VM session if I directly went to the .VMX directory and double-clicked the icon.

I would really appreciate it if anyone can explain to me what exactly is the problem and how I can fix it?
    I'm running Windows Server 2003 as the OS.

Thank you in advance

Re: VMRUN error - unable to execute VMRUN commands

what OS is the vmware server installed on ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
      what OS is the vmware server installed on ?
      Hello, The host PC is running on Windows 7, while the VM itself is running Windows Server 2003.

Comment

Originally posted by Will33 View Post
        Hello, The host PC is running on Windows 7, while the VM itself is running Windows Server 2003.
        Sorry my apologies, the host PC is running on Windows Server 2003 R2 32-bit, while the VM itself is running Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition.

Comment

I was going to suggest using the "run as administrator" command prompt and see if that helps, but i'm outta suggestions sorry :/
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by Will33 View Post
            Hello
            tri run de vmrun in powershell de msdos, have problems whith de spaces and de """

poweshell is on start > programs > accesories > windows power shell> windows power shell

the firts run do you have permisions to run unsigned scripts

i automate a task with

write-host $readf1 Starting win server -background "RED" -foreground "BLACk"
            $vmrun = C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware VIX\
            cd $vmrun
            # uncoment to get de local of vm have you running
            # .\vmrun -T ws list
            # uncoment to get de list of snapshot if you have but, stop a machine to get a names
            # .\vmrun -T ws listSnapshots "D:\VM\VM_WORKSITE_AD\Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition.vmx"
            # if revert to start from snapshot and save a time to load a win put mi_snapshot and uncomment
            #.\vmrun -T ws revertToSnapshot "D:\VM\VM_WORKSITE_AD\Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition.vmx" mi_snapshot
            .\vmrun -T ws start "D:\VM\VM_WORKSITE_AD\Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition.vmx"
            # write-host $readf1 is OK -background "GREEN" -foreground "BLACk"
            save it mi_automate_server.ps1 and run it

read de comentaries # and uncomment if you have

sorry for my bat english

Comment

Working...
            X