Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows server 2003 on a VMware workstation

Hi Everyone,
    I was just wondering if itís possible to install a windows server 2003 on a VMware workstation and then install some additional operating systems (such as windows 2000, XP, Vista etc.) and then manage them from the server (create a domain).
    I am currently studying and would like to setup a network so that I can practice on it, so itís just for training purposes.
    Can anyone help with this?
    Or any other alternative solution that would help me with my studying.
    Many thanks in advance.

Re: Windows server 2003 on a VMware workstation

if you have a Base OS of say, Windows XP, and then you install VMware Server, you can install multiple individual guest operating systems.

You can't, however, install the base OS, then install vmware, then install a guest OS, then install another OS on top of it

If what i'm saying makes sense ?

one host, multiple guests is ok
    one host with a guest, with another guest, is not ok.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
      if you have a Base OS of say, Windows XP, and then you install VMware Server, you can install multiple individual guest operating systems.

You can't, however, install the base OS, then install vmware, then install a guest OS, then install another OS on top of it

If what i'm saying makes sense ?

one host, multiple guests is ok
      one host with a guest, with another guest, is not ok.
      Thanks for the quick reply.
      I have windows 7 ultimate 64bit, and i have vmware workstation 7 installed and run win xp and vista on it.
      would it be possible to instal windows server 2003 as well and create a network with the other guest operating systems?
      can this be done on the vmware workstation or do i need vmware server?

once again, many thanks

Comment

you should be able to do it with vmware workstation as well as server.

THe ultimate answer to your question is, yes, you can put multiple virtual guests on the same virtual network to allow them to communicate

you may need to select "bridged" mode network - if you select NAT or HostOnly it may not work the way you want
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

thank you for your help tehcamel...

Comment

Working...
          X