Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESXi4 Network Question

Hi All,

I am setting up ESXi lab at home and got 1 x dual port Intel GB NIC.
    I want to whether this is possible to setup with what I have got atm. I want to setup two networks - in a way, so that 1 network is connected to internal only and 1 network is connected to LAN/Internet.

For example, like WSUS, I want it to be able to connect to LAN/Internet and at the same time it is available to internal network.

I hope my question make sense, if not pls ask me for more clarification
    Attached Files

Re: ESXi4 Network Question

It seems to me (with how I read your question) that you could just give the two networks different IP schemes and they would not see each other (except for machine with both schemes)

Example:
    Your NIC cards could be setup as
    #1:
    IP: 192.168.1.1 (or whatever the router / DHCP gives you)
    Subnet: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 192.168.1.254 (or whatever your router might be)

#2:
    IP: 192.168.0.1
    Gateway: <blank>

ESXi might be:
    IP 192.168.0.2
    Gateway: <blank>

If your gateways on #2 and the ESXi are blank they will never look off their network for anything (IE: No internet), but could see each other if they are in the same subnet (IE: 255.255.255.0)

Hobie

Comment

The way to do this would be:

On vmnic0 create a VM Portgtoup and assign the virtual machines in this portgroup the IP's 192.x.x.x range (either Static / DHCP)
      On vmnic1 create a VM portgroup and assign the virtual machines in this portgroup the IP's 10.x.x.x range (either Static / DHCP).

The virtual machines that should be connected to both Subnets should be connected to both MV portgroups (networks)

Hope that helps you out.
      Maish
      ----------------------------------------------------------
      Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
      VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
      MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
      A proud husband and father of 3 girls
      ----------------------------------------------------------
      If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

Thanks for the replies.
        I ened up adding a new vSwitch1, but no physical adapator associated as I only got one . I use that vSwitch1 when setting up new servers. It was alright, until when I tried WDS - I am getting PXE-E55: ProxyDHCP service did not reply to request on port 4011.

At the moment, my setup is as below -
        DC01 - 192.168.0.x/ 10.0.0.1 DNS
        SRV1 - 10.0.0.2 DHCP/WDS

From the research, this error probably related to the fact that one physical NIC has two IP addresses - link. even though it only mentioned w2k3.

Comment

Working...
        X