Upgrade path?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade path?

Is there an upgrade path from ESX Server 3i v3.5.0 Build 226117 to whatever the newst supported version of ESXi is? I notice that VMware just EOL'd the version we are running but I do not see any information on where to do next.

tia!
    -d

Re: Upgrade path?

What update are you on?

You can upgrade ESX3.5 to vSphere using Update Manager but you need to be on vCenter with the latest version of Update Manager as well.

What is your set-up i.e. number of hosts and builds, do you have virtual center with vMotion? If you can vMotion your VM's to another host then I would consider rebuilding all of your hosts with a fresh version of ESXi.

If your new to vSphere I would definately recommend - vSphere 4.0 Quick Start Guide (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/143...SIN=1439263450)

Good luck

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by m80arm View Post
      What update are you on?

You can upgrade ESX3.5 to vSphere using Update Manager but you need to be on vCenter with the latest version of Update Manager as well.

What is your set-up i.e. number of hosts and builds, do you have virtual center with vMotion? If you can vMotion your VM's to another host then I would consider rebuilding all of your hosts with a fresh version of ESXi.

If your new to vSphere I would definately recommend - vSphere 4.0 Quick Start Guide (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/143...SIN=1439263450)

Good luck

Michael
      update? the VMware Infrastructure Client says in the Help | About box "ESX Server 3i v3.5.0 Build 226117" Doesn't mention any update. This is a single box with 4 VM's on it and I manage it using the VMware Infrastructure Client v2.5.0. No VMotion or anything fancy.

-d

Comment

ESX3.5 is currently up to Update 5. Updates are like service packs.

If there are only 4 VM's you could use something like Veeam Fast SCP (http://www.veeam.com/vmware-esxi-fastscp.html) to copy the VM's from local storage to an external drive, remove from the inventory, rebuild the host and then copy the VM's back onto local storage and add back into the inventory. You can then upgrade the version of VMtools within the VM's and then upgrade the hardware from version 4 to 7 (Do this after upgrading the VMtools)

Obviously there will be downtime when doing this.

Hope this helps

Michael
        Michael Armstrong
        www.m80arm.co.uk
        MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X