No announcement yet.

SATA drives don't show up when adding storage

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SATA drives don't show up when adding storage

I was talking to one of the Veeam engineers a couple of weeks ago and he described how he installed an SSD drive (OCZ Vertex) on his VMware server, moved the swapfiles over to it and handed out RAM to his VMs like it was candy. He said the paging, since it was on a high performance SSD (270MB/s read, 250MB/s write) it was as good as having a large amount of RAM. So I decided to give it a whirl.

I'm using an ASUS motherboard (M4A785TD), which has the SB710 southbridge. According to the various whitebox HCLs the SB710 is supported in ESXi4, including the SATA controllers. However, when adding the SSD to my existing ESXi4u1 box the drive just will not show up under the storage configuration.

I've changed modes back and forth between IDE, ACHI and RAID and no change. I have both an SSD and Seagate SATA drive I've tried. Both are recognized by the BIOS but not ESXi.

Is there some trick to adding local storage to an existing install? Or maybe update 1 broke this like what happened with 3.5 u4? I'm out of my league to troubleshoot this further so any help would be greatly appreciated!