2k8 Enterprise x64 on VMware ESXi

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2k8 Enterprise x64 on VMware ESXi

I installed the 180 day demo of Win2k8 x64 Server R2 Ent Edition in a VMWare ESXi 3i v3.5.0 instance.. With the firewall off, no inbound traffic of any kind is comming in. No other software other than MSFT updates have been installed as of yet. Any one run into this before?

tia,
    -d

Re: 2k8 Enterprise x64 on VMware ESXi

Originally posted by dsmythe View Post
    I installed the 180 day demo of Win2k8 x64 Server R2 Ent Edition in a VMWare ESXi 3i v3.5.0 instance.. With the firewall off, no inbound traffic of any kind is comming in. No other software other than MSFT updates have been installed as of yet. Any one run into this before?

tia,
    -d
    dsmyth,

Is this a standalone server or is it a member of a domain? What network profile has been applied in "Network and Sharing Center", Domain, Private, Public? What about the Windows Firewall with Advanced Security?

-Jason
    MCSA/MCSE 2K3,MCITP:ESA,MCTS x 4,VCP x 2

Comment

Originally posted by VWA4 View Post
      dsmyth,

Is this a standalone server or is it a member of a domain? What network profile has been applied in "Network and Sharing Center", Domain, Private, Public? What about the Windows Firewall with Advanced Security?

-Jason
      yes was standalone in a workgroup, not yet joined to the domain. I think the domain profile was private and the firewall was off at the service level so it was not even running.

Comment

I'm moving this to the VMWare forum for a better response
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Is the VM connected to a vSwitch that is connected to an uplink port that can actually access the internet?

Michael
          Michael Armstrong
          www.m80arm.co.uk
          MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by m80arm View Post
            Is the VM connected to a vSwitch that is connected to an uplink port that can actually access the internet?

Michael
            The server is connected to a port on out core switch. The other 3 VM's work w/out issue.

Does it matter that the VM was created with the win2k8 server R2 x64 default and I installed the x64 Enterprise edition? becuase I am reinstalling it now and do not see a "Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise (64-bit)" from the guest os drop down. Would that make a difference at all?

Comment

Originally posted by dsmythe View Post
              yes was standalone in a workgroup, not yet joined to the domain. I think the domain profile was private and the firewall was off at the service level so it was not even running.
              dsmythe,

Can this server ping/connect outbound? Is it only inbound packets that are being dropped?

If it can get outbound I wouldn't think the issue wouldn't be with how your ESX is setup, but something in the vm itself. Have you tried leaving the firewall on and adding Exceptions to the rule base to allow the desired ports in?

-Jason
              MCSA/MCSE 2K3,MCITP:ESA,MCTS x 4,VCP x 2

Comment

Originally posted by VWA4 View Post
                dsmythe,

Can this server ping/connect outbound? Is it only inbound packets that are being dropped?

If it can get outbound I wouldn't think the issue wouldn't be with how your ESX is setup, but something in the vm itself. Have you tried leaving the firewall on and adding Exceptions to the rule base to allow the desired ports in?

-Jason
                yeah, all outbound connections were fine.. it was just inbound even with the firewall and IPsec services stopped. I am reinstalling it now if it happens again I will check the .vmx and see if maybe there is a setting or something.

Comment

Working...
                X