Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VMWare Converter : How to virtualize my environment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • VMWare Converter : How to virtualize my environment

    Hello All,

    I am a total newbie for any type of VMWare activity in general.

    I want to use VMWare convertor to build a VM Machine of my main Home PC.

    The configuration is as follows :

    Harddisk 1:
    Partition 1: Windows XP (NTFS)
    Partition 2: Ubuntu Linux (Ext3)
    Partition 3: Linux Swap

    HardDisk 2:
    Partition 1: Windows 7 (NTFS)
    Partition 2: General Data (NTFS)

    Primary operating system used is Windows XP.

    When I boot the computer it runs in the following sequence:

    1. GRUB BootLoader (with default option to select Windows 7 Loader)

    2. Windows 7 Bootloader Menu (with default option to select Old version of Windows -XP)

    3. Windows XP Bootlloader Menu (with default option to boot into Windows XP alongside with Recovery console).

    And the Windows XP starts automatically everytime I boot the PC, with the option ofcourse to select any other OS at the boot time.

    How to make the VMware image of this machine , also please guide which "Deploy.cab" file to use and where to place its files. Which partitions to select. I want to make a possibly true replica of this configuration in the VMMachine.

    Any help is greatly appreciated.

    Regards.

  • #2
    Re: VMWare Converter : How to virtualize my environment

    try looking into the "vmware convertor" cold-clone cd.
    It will require you to have an active ESX or esxi server somewhere though...

    it will then fully clone eveyrthing exactly as it is, a nd import it correctly
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: VMWare Converter : How to virtualize my environment

      Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
      try looking into the "vmware convertor" cold-clone cd.
      It will require you to have an active ESX or esxi server somewhere though...

      it will then fully clone eveyrthing exactly as it is, a nd import it correctly
      Thanks a lot for your help.

      But for a noob like me it sounded Greek...

      Can you explain in an easy and more guided way or maybe another simple way to achieve my objective.

      Thanks.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: VMWare Converter : How to virtualize my environment

        Ok - you state you wish to make a virtual machine of your current computer, and you want it to be exactly the same as the machine right now.

        Before we can go any further, I need to know which virtual machine technology you will be using - there are several options.
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: VMWare Converter : How to virtualize my environment

          Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
          Ok - you state you wish to make a virtual machine of your current computer, and you want it to be exactly the same as the machine right now.

          Before we can go any further, I need to know which virtual machine technology you will be using - there are several options.
          I simply want to run VMWare converter, to make a virtual machine of my running PC, which will hopefully vmx and vmdk files.

          If there are any better and easier options available then please do share.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: VMWare Converter : How to virtualize my environment

            Originally posted by Alterego View Post
            I simply want to run VMWare converter, to make a virtual machine of my running PC, which will hopefully vmx and vmdk files.

            If there are any better and easier options available then please do share.
            Alterego,

            Here are a few links that may assist you (since you didn't the particular version of Converter I linked a few of them)

            vCenter Converter Standalone 4.0.1

            vCenter Converter Standalone 4.0

            Vmware Converter 3

            -Jason
            MCSA/MCSE 2K3,MCITP:ESA,MCTS x 4,VCP x 2

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: VMWare Converter : How to virtualize my environment

              As I mentioned

              Originally posted by Alterego View Post
              How to make the VMware image of this machine , also please guide which "Deploy.cab" file to use and where to place its files. Which partitions to select. I want to make a possibly true replica of this configuration in the VMMachine.

              Any help is greatly appreciated.

              Regards.

              I know and have already downloaded the VMWare converter 4.0 StandAlone.

              I just need help about how to proceed, cause I ran it by just selecting one (boot) partition and going ahead, but based on my system disk map (which I provided in my first post) there was maybe something missing and the conversion did not end successfully. It gave various errors everytime.

              So can you guide me about the correct way to do the conversion.

              Thanks.

              Comment

              Working...
              X